Phenom II successful/not successful core unlock

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
OK I built a phenom II X2 system and as many of you who read my threads know I successfully unlocked the locked cores on it...I know that a number of people here on toms also had the same success I did...
For those who don't know about my system I'll post it later...
But I just want all the people who had success/no success in unlocking any phenom II X2 or X3 to post their results on this thread...or you could just PM me...I'm gonna do a phenom II unlocking guide and I want to collect some statistics to see approximately how high of a chance it is to build a computer with an X2 or X3 and successfully unlock.
Thanks...

PS: If it's not hard I would like to also know what motherboard and bios version you guys used to unlock. For those who didn't have success in unlocking cores this guide I'm working on might help in unlocking it if they did something wrong...
Thanks again... :)

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

It's probably a sign that the cores that are locked are bad. Not every unlock is a successful one.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Great! you guys are a help...
I need to finish editing my video guide and then I'll post a link to it...
As for the written guide it's still in the process of creation...I'll post it here as well as
on frozentek...

crayzcreationz

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey im having a problem im able to Unlock my processor to 3 Cores do u think i can unlock it to quad my voltages are stock i only unleashed it and set it to per core 3 cores it stays in the log in screen when i put it to quad core someone can please help me get ma quad core unlocked .....

m4a785td-Evo
4 Gbs Of Patriot Ram
Phenom II X2 550 Be Unlocked To X4 b50 Stock Gz 3.1 But i Only Have It on 3 Cores Cant Get 4th Idk Why Need Help.
ATI Radeon Hd 5770 1Gb Orignal Factory Card
Windows 7 64 Bit.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Whoa! how did you get your B50 to do 4.2Ghz? what temps were you getting @ 1.57v?

mactronix

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

Hi I just got one of those boards to play a bit with a 555BE. Can you just confirm which bios it is i need for it to work

Thanks
Mactronix

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Same specs, but managed to unlock with original BIOS (03... something), however core 3 (or 2 if you count them 0,1,2,3) was defective and it would imediatly stop working in Prime95 but the other 3 were rolling along just fine even after core 3 stopped. So I updated to the latest bios so I could disable core 3 and now running as triple core just fine, stock speed, stock voltage, stock cooler. (weird thing, the cpu is recognized as Phenom II X4 B50 but with 3 cores and CPU-Z sais it's a AMD Athlon II X3 450, which rummor has it will be launched by AMD later this year ;) )

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Videl,
I see you are still at it. I've been really busy reading and studying posts.
Since my last post, have added the n520 cooler and 2 more 1g sticks of ram.
Haven't set up to post my results yet, but I've gone over 3.8 ghz on b50 stable.
I'll be playing with that system more intensely, because I've recently built a back-up
that is fairly similar:
GA-890GPA-UD3H rev.2.0
Phenom II x2 555 BE (unlocked all 4 and oc'ed past 4.0ghz on 2 cores!)
crucial ballistix tracer ddr3-1333 2x2g
600w coolermaster silent pro m series
cooler master scout case
wd cav black 500g
The C3 stepping on the 555 seems to allow it more headroom, but other than that it is very similar to the 550. Will eventually be swapping them back and forth to see how the mobos differ, mainly ddr2 vs. ddr3 I would guess.

shelbyryan85

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello everyone!
So after months of research I finally started building my new AM3 based tower. The specs are as follows:

MSI 750a G55 Motherboard (1.6 BIOS I believe)
Onboard graphics for now.(Saving up for GTX 460...I work for a living okay?)
2gb patriot DDR3 1333mhz single stick (three more to come soon for 8gb)
AMD Phenom II x3 720BE (the topic at hand of course)
X-power pro 600W continuous PSU
250gb 7200rpm HD
Windows 7 64-bit
Samsung DVD drive manufactured in 2000. That's right, a parallel ATA DVD drive in my brand spanking new half-finished gaming rig. It reads discs, I like it. What else would I use that single PATA port for? More SATA available!
All of this is carefully and neatly housed in a Cooler Master Elite 310 case with blue accents. Not an unused wire in sight. I'm quite fond of this case... already running an extra 120mm intake fan (nice blue LED) on the side window and I don't even have a dedicated GPU yet. I'll be ready at least...

Anyways, on to my core unlocking adventure.
I followed the simple steps of setting Nvidia Core Calibration to AUTO.
Next boot, I go straight back into the BIOS and all 4 cores are listed.
"Very nice," I thought, "let's see if the OS will boot now".
I wasn't expecting it to but it DID. Windows 7 showed the cpu as a quad core as well. However, I was disappointed a short time later when after gaming for about 2 minutes the machine crashed to a grey screen. Oh well, reset cmos jumpers and I was back to a STABLE tri-core. At first I assumed that the core was bad and I should just enjoy my nice stable three cores for what they're worth. Then I started doing some more researched and noticed people were saying that the voltage needed to be bumped up from 1.325 (stock) to 1.35 or 1.40. Since the OS loaded and all four cores showed in the BIOS AND in Windows 7 is there a good chance bumping up the voltage will make my system stable? I'm going to try it out tonight but if anyone has any other thoughts on this scenario/ setup i'm all ears. Thanks!

JDFan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Hard to say really -- Some chips will be stable with a bit more voltage others will not - only way to really find out is to test it (Mine was actually running stable at 3.0 Ghz. with 1.296V while waiting for an aftermarket Heatsink but was still a little hotter than I like to keep it and with a TX3 HEatsink has been running stable with the 4 cores @ 3.2 GHz. and 1.344V since January so there are chips out there that will and the fact that yours booted to windows means it at least is not real defective so there is a chance it could.

I would run it as a tricore and make sure all of the other components (RAM modules at their current Voltage, etc.) are stable for a little while and then go back and revisit the unlock with say 1.4 - 1.425V to see if it remains stable and then start lowering the Voltage to see where the lowest voltage that it will remain stable is (that way if the initial 1.425V is not stable you know the other lower settings will most likely not be as well - so saves some time testing if it is not going to remain stable no matter what Voltage you put it at)

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Have you got a O/c on it as well as the unlocked cores Shelby?
Try unlocking with no clock, see if its stable enough then work up a little at a time, I had 3.5 stable until I got Win7, now it only lets me do 3335Mhz (15% O/c) with four cores
Moto

shelbyryan85

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions/info. The first try was with unlocked cores and no overclock with the voltage left at auto and it crashed to a grey screen within minutes of starting Prime95, Windows Experience Index or any game. The second time I bumped the cpu voltage up to 1.425, unlocked cores and no overclock. Still crashed within a few minutes under any benchmarks or games (but it ran very well while it was working). I tried a few more voltages just for kicks, 1.40v & 1.35v and still no dice, same grey screen. I reset my cmos jumpers (back to tri-core again) and i'm set at 3.2ghz OC. Ran prime55 for 5 hours and the system is stable. I'm getting a 6.9 cpu experience index rating now up from 6.7 (running 2.8ghz stock). Not bad, i'm wondering if I should just leave it alone. There is one more thing I noticed, I double checked my BIOS version and it's actually 1.2. with the latest version being 1.3. Could this be hurting my chances of getting that fourth core stable? Thanks again for all the help. - S

JDFan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

A Bios update probably wouldn't make a difference since the CPU is already supported and the unlocking mode is present but if your feeling adventurous enough to try it - it shouldn't hurt (as long as you backup the old BIOS just in case you need to revert) -- sounds like the 4th core has some issues so you're probably better of for stability to leave it locked then and figure 3.2Ghz. seems to be a pretty good speed for it to run at (I use 3.2 for my 24\7 settings with the 4th core since it didn't seem to much different a 3.4-3.6Ghz. except for the extra heat generated !)