Phenom II successful/not successful core unlock

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
OK I built a phenom II X2 system and as many of you who read my threads know I successfully unlocked the locked cores on it...I know that a number of people here on toms also had the same success I did...
For those who don't know about my system I'll post it later...
But I just want all the people who had success/no success in unlocking any phenom II X2 or X3 to post their results on this thread...or you could just PM me...I'm gonna do a phenom II unlocking guide and I want to collect some statistics to see approximately how high of a chance it is to build a computer with an X2 or X3 and successfully unlock.
Thanks...

PS: If it's not hard I would like to also know what motherboard and bios version you guys used to unlock. For those who didn't have success in unlocking cores this guide I'm working on might help in unlocking it if they did something wrong...
Thanks again... :)

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I think I found the best value board & CPU combination:
Athlon x3 440 unlocked to 4 core with L3 cache on a mother board that cost £36.99 inc. VAT (Asrock N68C-GS UCC). I could only get it to 3.3GHz, I think because the board only supports processors up to 95W and the extra core pushed it over. As a 3 core with the L3 cache I could get 3.7GHz and as its for gaming I kept this setting.

aznshinobi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Ermmm... Simon, as much as i love the X3 440 XD The only 440's that could unlock were the ones based on the Phenom architecture. Which those were the FIRST batches of 440's released. To now, there really hard to find 440's that actually unlock anymore.

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
athlon440.JPG

Did I just imagine this then?

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
This one was bought only 2-3 weeks ago from 1 of the largest UK online sellers so its not just the old ones. Obviously I have no idea how rare it is but 100% of the one I got can.

shelbyryan85

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

It's all good, I built the whole system for barely over 250 USD anyway and wasn't expecting a quarter of the performance i'm getting from it as a tri-core. All I have to do now is drop a good gpu and some more ram in it. My girlfriend already loves the damn thing for its built in HTPC abilities and good looks. I test ran a friend's MSI 9800gt 512 oc (that I got for him : P) in my machine and the thing was still jaw dropping in all my gaming tests at the stock 2.8ghz, and that's running on a 1400p CRT monitor. 3.5ghz on air you say? I'm just running 3.2ghz on the stock heat sink/voltage. This feels safe and good enough for now but it looks like an aftermarket heat sink and gtx 4xx are in my near future. Looks like they locked this one up for a reason. -S

shelbyryan85

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Thanks, that's pretty encouraging. In that case I may bump it up to 3.5ghz on the stock cooler/voltage eventually. I found a super deal on a 9800gtx ($65) that i'm picking up tonight to hold me over until the gtx 460 (or 480 we'll see) so i'll throw it all together tonight and see how she runs. I'm sure i'm going to hate it coming from my last system with a P4 and ATI x1900 ^_^
Good times. Happy weekend everyone and thanks for all the help. -S

Dexteroz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hello Everyone,

My unlocking precess didn't went well ...

I did everything that is suggested but some how ACC keep setting it back to 'Default' Value instead of 'Auto'.

I don't have any problem while booting but when i go to BIOS and check those settings ACC always flip back to it's original value...

What's going on?

Any suggestion??

Dexteroz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

That's alrite,

I am using Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard

with AMD Phenom x2 550 Black edition chip

thanks !

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
ok, depending on your bios revision, you'll have something that unlocks your cores, unleash, or A.C.C. in Acc, I can select all cores or by core, you can select which cores to turn on/off, have a play and see if you can get 3 stable using that tool, your 2 'original' cores should be fine anyway so just test the 2 others with those one at a time
Moto

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
on my current mobo (msi 790FX GD70) I have a core unlock feature that has to be turned on with acc...I'm guessing it's insted of ec firmware set to hybrid...
So you unlock the cores like you always would and I have a core lock feature that lets me lock one two or three cores...you can use that to make it x3....

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Oh and an update guys,

I have been gone for...I don't even know how long...lol...I was really bussy with a ton of different things...and our frozentek site doesn't even work that well anymore scince I was being gone from here and there...
So I'm happy to be back! (and I wanna stay and keep visiting these sites dayly)
We are also going to probably remake our frozentek site to improve it by a ton! so I'm kinda exited about that...
and I will soon finish my core unlocking video guide that I started I while ago and never finished ...sorry guys :(
But now that I'm back I'm going to make sure that project continues and once our frozentek site is redone it will for sure be up on there and I'll probably post some youtube links here too...

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
back to the point (almost) :pfff: I have a Athlon x3 440 (RANA) on an Asrock mobo with F2 bios ..it has ACC thing , but I couldnt unlock the 4th core , tried a few settings , all cores ,,,, per core ...auto , and the other one , but none of them worked. in fact it wouldnt even boot with ACC enabled: I guess mine was just one of the 'regular' X3's :heink:
ideas

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

yeah , my setup is very similar , I have mine on 3 cores at 3.5 ghz , stock volts and fan , I really like the Asrock OC utility

chrisiomuk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Used core unlocker on my new Asus 870 chipset board and it unlocked the L3 cache but not the 4th core on my Athlon II X3 440. Im assuming this is because it wouldnt post with all 4 cores as the computer instantly reset twice before posting after using the facility. Im guessing it did it twice as it tried it with 4 cores without the cache and 4 cores with the cache first but it wouldnt start up, then it tried the three cores with the cache and worked.

Long story short, very impressed with the core unlocker and my Athlon X3 is now a Phenom X3.