Philips LED Light Bulb Uses Less Than 7W

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have one that i bought at the local hardware store for use as an outdoor light. It's fine for that but the color isn't very nice. If Philips could sell a 2800k bulb with decent CRI that'd be great for indoor use.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Not impressed. Not bright enough. Maybe useful in the fridge, but that's it.
13W CFLs generate as much light as a 60W incandescent and can be found for $1 now.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom]Huh,what? Prove me wrong,but I could of sworn it was 120V the American's use[/citation]
Nope, it's 110

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
it changes from 110 to 120 pending on what area of the country you are in. ive noticed that west america tends to have 120. not to sure about east or central though

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
these are too expensive !!, 40 - 100 is too much for lighting !!

I think they need more time to become affordable for average user, specially when you want something like 12 - 20 for your outdoor lighting

G

originally it was 110V,despite most devices show 120V.
It'll all depend on how near or far from the nearest transformer you live.
Distance often can make up for 20V.

In Europe it's the same thing; they used to have 220V, updatedit to 230V recently, though modern devices always show something like:
110~240V.

It means in a house where you have 230V on the net,peak hours can occur with 240V.

I remember someone measuring the voltage in a nightpub one day,and he mentioned the voltage was end 80V,beginning 90V!

120V is an indicator that your device can easily stand a 135V peak if necessary; and 10V overvoltage.

G

We all know that light blubs are made to stop working. 1,500 hrs is what the manufacturer wan'ts as a lifespan. Edisons light bulb is still working as far as I know. Life span is a moot point. They should just make lightbulbs that last. I'm sure the LED has a similar design "feature"

cl_spdhax1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
they been selling led bulbs on ebay for a while, but they are made cheaply and unsafe, so these philips are certified (not to short or catch fire).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I hope they work better than the led spots we've had in the bathroom earlier. The problem with LEDs is that they focus light on a small area, so they don't properly iluminate all of the area you expect. I trust philips has made the front spread the light a bit more evenly though. But who knows. I'll see if I can find some of those for sale somewhere (being european).
They should come in handy in places where you switch on and off the light a lot. You'd typically use an old type bulb for those places, as energy saving bulbs don't like it when you turn them on and off all the time. And LEDs don't really care.

G

Good stuff, I was an early adopter of compact flourescent bulbs, but I had mixed feelings about the mercury content in them, by the time my current bulbs start crapping out, hopefully I can replace them with LED bulbs.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I bought one 3-pak of CFLs...
Lifespan:
#1 lasted 2 weeks.
#2 lasted 2 months.
#3 lasted 4 months.

A package of 4 incandescent bulbs costs under $1. A recent test we did showed an average life of approx 6 months.

End of experiment.

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
these are too expensive !!, 40 - 100 is too much for lighting !!

I think they need more time to become affordable for average user, specially when you want something like 12 - 20 for your outdoor lighting
You have read the article? they provide a lifespan more than 30 x your "cheap" light bulb...

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]JohnMD1022[/nom]I bought one 3-pak of CFLs... Lifespan: #1 lasted 2 weeks. #2 lasted 2 months. #3 lasted 4 months.A package of 4 incandescent bulbs costs under $1. A recent test we did showed an average life of approx 6 months.End of experiment.[/citation]

My experience is the same as yours. I put a bunch of those junky things in my basement (cuz I don't care what the lighting looks like there) thinking I would save money over the long haul and they just don't last at all. The box says they last for a lot longer then regular bulbs, but that is total crap. CFL's have horrible life spans, they cost 800% more and they have a "heating up" period before they really cast as much light as they say should.

Status
Not open for further replies.