Photoshop CS6 Causing PC to Freeze w/YouTube

Belphegore

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Hey guys,

So I have a very bizarre, very specific issue that I've narrowed down to Photoshop CS6, rather than it being YouTube.

Whenever I'm using Photoshop CS6 and I have YouTube videos running in the background, my PC will sporradically freeze. First it's the audio, which begins looping on a single second of the video and I can still move my mouse, but I can't click. Then a few seconds later the entire PC is locked up and I have to do a manual reset (not hard crash).

The kicker is, it doesn't happen all of the time. I can go hours and hours without this happening, or it can be a matter of 10 minutes. I've since just started ripping YouTube to MP3 to avoid the problem, but it's a hassle honestly.

I've performed various controlled tests, such as just using Photoshop CS6 alone, letting YouTube play in the background while I play games on Steam. When I thought it was YouTube causing the problem, I updated Adobe Flashplayer, turned off hardware acceleration, tweaked a couple of settings in Device Manager, etc. When I figured out that it's CS6, I increased the amount of RAM it can use and disabled auto-saving in the background, but nothing has worked thus far.

Specs:
i7 6700k
ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
16GB G.Skill Vengeance RAM DDR4-3000Hz
ASUS Maximum Formula VIII
Windows 10

Solution
Contrary to what you may think, you may need to reduce the amount of RAM that PS can use so that more RAM is available to the system.

Or close PS when you don't actually need it.

Belphegore

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

I'll try lowering it then, I figured with 16GB of RAM it couldn't take up THAT much. I did keep an eye on CS6's RAM and CPU usage while I was working, but it may have inadvertently spiked at some point.

I only have CS6 open when I'm using it, but sometimes I like to throw on YouTube for background noise. Not music, as that's all on my EHDD, but audio stories or documentaries that I don't have to visually review to appreciate.

TRENDING THREADS