Pictured: The Guitar Hero 5 Drum Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrafnthor

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I would rather like to spend time learning to play a real guitar then spending it on these Rock bands/Guitar hero games. Not bashing the games. Just pas mon fort.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Any drummers on the board? Would a game like this do ANYTHING toward learning to play the drums? From a non-drummer it looks to me like drumming on these games is a lot closer to the real thing than the "guitars" are.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
As an accomplished, multi-instrument playing, musician, I would like to go on to say that learning to play Guitar Hero was like learning to play any other instrument. Personally, I think the $400 spent to play a limited amount of songs could have been better spent on an inexpensive guitar, where you can play any song you want. Or... *gasps* write a few songs on your own!

Being a leader instead of a follower? I know... tough stuff.

superhoss

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
This kit has what the previous ones DIDN'T, and that is realistic placement of all the parts. Left to right on the top row we have the high hat and crash. On the bottom row you have your snare, tom, and "floor tom", plus kick pedal. This is a good basic kit that you can play almost any type of music with. As a drummer, I think I can safely say that if you learn to play this well, after a couple "real world" lessons, you'll be well on your way.

Cloned

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Any drummers on the board? Would a game like this do ANYTHING toward learning to play the drums? From a non-drummer it looks to me like drumming on these games is a lot closer to the real thing than the "guitars" are.[/citation]
I played drums from an early age through high school. My first "drum" that I owned was a little rubber pad used for practicing. From the looks of this, it could be possible to learn to play drums on it. Though I doubt the games teach any of the technique needed to play drums in reality or read sheet music.
The layout is wrong for teaching to play a drum set though.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Any drummers on the board? Would a game like this do ANYTHING toward learning to play the drums? From a non-drummer it looks to me like drumming on these games is a lot closer to the real thing than the "guitars" are.[/citation]

D_Kuhn I don't play "real" drums but i have MEGA hours in on the drums on World Tour and Metallica Guitar Hero.

In my personal opinion the drums unlike the Guitar certainly do teach you to move limbs independantly and are similar to real drums. I would compam willing to bet if you became a pro on these drums you would learn "real" drums pretty darn quick. The Guitar on the other hand is nothing like a real guitar.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

I'm certainly no drummer but I am of the opinion that this CAN help you learn to play the real drums but for one reason only... Coordination. It will help your hands and feet operate independently of each other which is crucial for drumming. Other than that, no. That's my opinion at least.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
all these guitar hero games are confusing me. when guitar hero 5 comes out is it going to have a band kit bundle or just a game and guitar option. if it has a bundle with drums and mic then why come out with another version 1-2 months later and call it band hero?

dbzpic1

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I played the S out of Rock Band and now I have a real kit and can play Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins on it fairly well from repetitive copying from the RB chart.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

I'm a drummer, and the answer is yes and no. It isn't horrible, but it skips over any fundamentals required to be a good drummer. It makes you good at hitting things fast and without much control, but not any solid stick control (you should be using your fingers much much more then your arms/wrist, and you shouldn't have to hit the drums hard to be able to hit them fast) and basic drumming rhythms and styles (such as the paradiddle, flams, swiss army triplets, rim shots, high hat control, proper builds, creativity, etc).

In short it does more then a guitar hero guitar does for a normal guitarist, but by no streach of the imagination does it make you a good drummer.

G

I've been playing drums for 17 years, and my limited experience with these games is that they're good for learning rhythm, keeping a steady tempo, building independent coordination of limbs (mainly being able to hit the bass drum off beat without also having to hit something with your right hand - really difficult for beginners to do quarter notes on a hi-hat while hitting eighth notes on the bass), and indicating the kind of role a drummer plays in a band - learning to be solidly on time, how to transition in and out of fills, and whether or not you find that kind of performance enjoyable.

It's not going to teach you the physical techniques involved playing real drums (though if you go with an electric kit it won't matter nearly as much, and the newer RB/GH drum sets are actually fairly decently close to a beginner's electric set) - you won't have 'feel' or 'groove', or (even know how to properly hold a stick) but those take years to develop anyway. I wouldn't expect to join a band without a few months practice even if you're nailing 100% on hard but I think the game is valuable in developing your internal metronome and getting used to standard rock rhythms. In other words, the benefits are primarily mental, but ARE transferable to the actual instrument.

G

I personally think Activision is going the wrong way in their GH series. They should focus on downloadable content and stop over saturating the market with a plethora of GH games. GH and Rockband won't teach anyone how to use a real guitar, but the drummming, especially Rockband with the Ion kit, is a great starting point.

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I'm a intermediate drummer and I can tell you I've tried out of those "drum sets" with miserable results. It's just not accurate or realistic enough, generally.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Wow lots of drummers on the board... cool. I bought a couple RB and GH games as a way to have fun with my boys... and we played them a LOT and had a lot of fun just listening to classic tunes my kids hadn't heard before and goofing off. I got pretty good with the guitar as did my kids.

Interestingly, after playing these games for maybe 6 months, BOTH the boys wanted real instruments... and both have learned to play (the oldest now plays drums and guitar, youngest bass). I attribute that interest in large part to these games, while they don't teach you HOW to play, they definitely instilled in the boys a desire to learn the real thing.

The oldest just bought his fourth guitar (an American Strat), and the youngest just got his "dream bass" (Gibson Thunderbird), they have a band and have played at a couple of school dances and parties. The games are a bit silly... but no doubt they were the best "bang for the buck" money I've ever spent on a game given that both kids now have a lifelong love of music and playing.

G

Guys it's a game...people know that playing GH or RB will not make them any more of a real musician. When people play COD or any of the Tony Hawk games do they instantly think they can do those things in real life?

I have a busy schedule and it's fun on the weekends to just pop in GH play a few songs and be entertained. I don't have the time right now to learn how to play a real instrument. It's for fun that's all.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]hrafnthor[/nom]I would rather like to spend time learning to play a real guitar then spending it on these Rock bands/Guitar hero games. Not bashing the games. Just pas mon fort.[/citation]

The games used to be fun at first. They still are, but it's true that I'd now better start learning to play a real guitar instead. GH gives you the false impression you're actually good at the guitar! Je suis très poche! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.