Pictured: The U.S. Air Force's PS3 Cluster Set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripGun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I fail to see the practicality of this setup. True, the cell processor can move large amounts data, but I don't see it having the effectiveness of what a render farm could deliver. This seems to me as being a media recruiting machine, "come join us,look how cool we are".

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]But can it play Crysis??? (Sorry... I just had to... )[/citation]

God damn it! Will you (all of you) stop doing this childish shit?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]TripGun[/nom]I fail to see the practicality of this setup. True, the cell processor can move large amounts data, but I don't see it having the effectiveness of what a render farm could deliver. This seems to me as being a media recruiting machine, "come join us,look how cool we are".[/citation]Do some research, you'll find your answer. A render farm made up of 2,200 NVIDIA cards would be nice but I don't think nearly as cost effective. Plus, this really smacks the other consoles in the face. Go Sony.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I fail to see the point of this. Would it not take less power and be better to just use computers? Core i7s plus a range of video cards could do whatever PS3s could do better.
PS3 is not some godly computing powerhouse compared to PCs and nice video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.