Pioneer or GRS+Alpine?

vascobrissos14

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,

I want to build a subwoofer and I've been looking a lot on the web.

And I've come to a conclusion and here they are.

I can either get a GRS 12" subwoofer from Parts Express and an Alpine MRV250 on my country for 185€ or I can get the Pioneer GTX-3706B Pack which includes the subwoofer (same size) and the amplifier (I don't really like the amplifier and the power it puts out to the subwoofer) for 140€ (it's on sale).

So, my question is which setup should I get? The box is apart of this discussion.

I personally preffer the GRS and the Alpine setup even though it's quite more expensive but if the Pioneer is a better setup for the price I'll go for it.

Thanks!

Solution
Generally, with subwoofers, the more power(watts) the better. Also be aware that for a given loudness level, to increase the volume a barely perceptible amount requires DOUBLE the power. To double the volume requires TEN TIMES the power.

EDIT: Dang typo!:pfff:

clarkjd

Distinguished
Generally, with subwoofers, the more power(watts) the better. Also be aware that for a given loudness level, to increase the volume a barely perceptible amount requires DOUBLE the power. To double the volume requires TEN TIMES the power.

EDIT: Dang typo!:pfff:

Solution

vascobrissos14

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

I didn't get your point... I'm talking about the setup I should get for performance and quality.
Per example, the Pioneer amplifier doens't max out the subwoofer's "power requirements" and I don't really like the amplifier itself. On the other hand, the Alpine seems really nice but I'm not so sure about the GRS Subwoofer.

The problem here is that in one setup, the subwoofer looks worse but the amplifier looks good, while the other one's subwoofer looks awesome and the amplifier looks bad.
Did you get my point?

Thanks

clarkjd

Distinguished

We are talking sound here. Looks have nothing to do with sound.

I was making an observation about subwoofer and speaker performance in general. I was hoping that the general observation might help you make your decision.

Sound reproduction is a very subjective subject. What sounds good to one person might not sound as good to another. Since I don't hear as you do.I can only make observations that have actual quantitative and measurable terms.

It all boils down to the fact that you should get the system that sounds good to you, not the one that "looks good".

vascobrissos14

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

I can't hear which setup is better since I live in the smallest country and we got almost nothing about audio here so I can only buy things from other countrys like the US. So I can only choose things from there by seeing others (that have heard the sound of both setups) opinions about it.

But I guess I'll go with the Alpine+GRS setup.

Thanks