Pioneer VSX-514K Amp error then shuts down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flexxmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
So grateful to have found this site and the knowledgeable and helpful members here. I have fixed one amp so far with your help. This one is going to be a bit more challenging. Here we have a very nice Pioneer that was working just fine and then all of a sudden one day when it was powered up it gave the AMP ERR on the display and then went into shutdown mode and wouldn't power back up. I tried to reset the error but got the same results which means it wasn't a fluke. Nothing obvious when I look at the board from the top side - no bulging caps or burnt diodes that are visible, but there is a lot to look at and I'm aware that defective components aren't always visible to the naked eye. I haven't gone any further yet (no disassembly) and have been studying the schematic in order to familiarize myself a bit before I start digging. Any tips or suggestions are certainly appreciated! Thanks in advance ..

Solution
If R638 has DC, then the most probably explanation is that your IC602 (PAC11) is short.

You can first unplug everything, and test Q631 and Q632 (driver transistors) by removing them and checking if they are short using an ohmmeter. Even then, you shouldn't have DC on R638... The only other way to get a DC would be for every other transistor and diode around it to be short (Q633, D632). If all those (Q631,632, 633) are okay, and you have DC on R638, you need to replace IC602 (PAC11).

These amps are self-contained, and usually shouldn't have DC whatsover...

flexxmi

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Thank you! I hope so as well. I bought the best thermal paste I could find and I hope it helps to make this new module last longer than the original one. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.