Pioneer vsx 821 to Windows 10 via HDMI

Giancarlo_1

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
I have a PC working as a media center, running Windows 10 and using a Nvidia GeForce. It's connected to my Pioneer receiver VSX 821 through HDMI cable and from there to a Samsung smart TV via HDMI also. It's been working for four years without problems but now it doesn't show anything in the screen.

The receiver shows the red sign in the display, indicating it's receiving the HDMI signal from the PC, but it doesn't send it to the TV.

If I connect the PC directly to the TV, it works, so I know the PC is sending data through the HDMI.

I already tried with several different HDMI cables with the same results. Also in the different input ports of the receiver.

Finally, when I connect the cable box to the receiver via HDMI, it shows the image in the TV. Also, when I connect another PC with a GeForce Nvidia card, it also works!

I am absolutely clueless about this. Could it be the drivers that are causing the different behaviors between the Pcs? I just downloaded the last Nvidia drivers in the PC that has the problem (named Mc for future reference)

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
I have had similar problems with a gateway laptop, denon, and samsung tv. :)

I think your issue is with windows 10.... :-o Basically, as you have found, the system appears to work when windows 10 uses drivers for a card that probably has updated itself. However, if windows 10 is forced to run on a display "system" that it does not "know", it uses ms basic drivers which appear to be "broken".... :-(((
I know this because on my system which was working somewhat but basically stopped recently... I went back to windows 8.1... problem gone.
If you look thru the internet, you will see lots of complaints about driver "incompatibility" with windows 10 especially around displays drivers and things like touchpads on laptops (again built in things)

Giancarlo_1

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

Tried 5 different resolutions, even in combination with different refresh rates. Nothing. :(

Giancarlo_1

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

Thanks Budwich. I'll see if Windows is recognizing the VSX-821 (it did it before the problem) I guess I'll end formatting the PC and probably even going back to 8.1 :(

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
depending on when you went windows 10, I think you can go back to 8.1 easy thru the "update / recovery" panel... that's what I did and it was quick / easy... but it said something about 1 month or something. I noticed a "windows old" directory that was there which I assume the windows 10 upgrade put there for "escaping" if you needed to. Hope you find something to work... it was frustrating as the system was working well in windows 8.1 and for a bit in windows 10 then "boom" something was changed during possibly an update (although it was somewhat flakey here and there prior to that... in and around display settings / resolution).... it looks like stuff dealing with "second screen" isn't doing things correctly but that's all we could figure during our 3-4 days of "frustration".

PS. I too was using the system to run Kodi... ;-) which made the "outage" even more frustrating.

In my case, my gateway laptop is fairly old (2009) and the drivers for the intel stuff haven't been updated for a while (and probably will never be updated) so that is a big issue.

Giancarlo_1

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

hahaha how did you know I was running Kodi?!

Just tried a recovery point, but I wasnt sure it was made before the problem. It didnt work, anyway. I'm formatting this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS