Pioneer VSX824 with no CD / DVD sound

Eric G

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX824K and used a HDMI cable to connect my CD/DVD player to the TV and an Optical connection between the receiver and the CD/DVD; CD/DVD has no RCB connection ports. Problem: no sound at all coming out of receiver. Do I have to set a special setting on Receiver? Thanks.

Solution
Have you gone through the receiver set up? One part of this is to assign rear panel connectors to the input you want to use with it (TV or DVD etc). This is in the input set up menu.
Go through the entire set up procedure to get the speaker levels balanced and delays set correctly,
is there a reason you're not routing dvdplayer->receiver->tv? that is generally the preferred method. in this way you can have a straight hdmi connection which is easier and has better quality.

if you're outputting via optical on the tv as above you would need to make sure in the settings menu you have optical output enabled and your receiver is set to optical as the source.

if the tv has hdmi arc support its possible to use the tv as the hub and go dvd->tv and avr->tv and use hdmi arc to send audio via the hdmi with arc compatibility to the receiver. i think its easier to just use dvd->avr->tv but just listing your options.

Have you gone through the receiver set up? One part of this is to assign rear panel connectors to the input you want to use with it (TV or DVD etc). This is in the input set up menu.
Go through the entire set up procedure to get the speaker levels balanced and delays set correctly,

Solution

Eric G

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015

I seem to be getting sound from the DVD / CD player without any issue. That being said, I am not getting any sound from the TV itself (i.e. when not playing the DVD / CD). I have connected the DVD / CD as per your instructions to the receiver in the appropriate CD input port. I have tried connecting the receiver directly to the TV using the HDMI port but I don't think it's an "HDMI ARC"-enabled because the word ARC is missing on the TV HDMI port. As I have the TV connected to a cable box, should I be connecting the receiver to the cable box instead using the optical TV output on the receiver connected to the cable box? Can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks.