Plastic Logic Shows Shatterproof, Slim Ereader

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well, the display may be shatterproof (see the video with that OLED screen in a previous article), but the electronics are probably not quite as resiliant. Nonetheless, it is nice they made the reader that much more durable.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
They really need to focus on features and actual usability rather than the, "Hey look you can pull a Michael Jackson and hold me outside a balcony, but you can really drop me!"

To soon?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
doh. Yet another device with a built-in rechargable battery so the whole device will be useless in 3 years when the battery gets worn out.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Stupid Stupid Stupid.
It looks like this is yet another device with a built-in (read: non-standard and unreplaceable) rechargable battery. This means:
a) yet another recharger to remember to pack every time you go away
b) You're repeatedly screwed because your device takes hours to recharge
c) You have to buy a whole new reader every 2-3 years because over that time the battery degrades until it wont hold a charge any more.

I will only consider buying one of these when they build one that takes AA's.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I can't think of many devices of this nature that I have used past 3 years. In that span, there is usually a process shrink, battery advancements, and fundamental science breakthrough that happen which convince me to upgrade. We've got batteries in the lab that charge in 30 seconds to 80% capacity right now. Nano-Structure use in batteries is changing the field dramatically.

People are starting to take for granted the tech shrinkage that is taking place. The phone can't get much smaller or it'll be to small for human hands; instead more capability will be crapped into the same amount of space. Circuits are so cheap, we have them in talking greeting cards and then throw them away.

So I don't mind an integrated battery as long as it performs until I replace the device, which at this pace, is likely less than three years. At which time I'll get my hoverboard/reader/food replicator combo device, and it's integrated battery, and replace it later when I can get the phaser option.

With the logic used here, no one would have bought a Model-T, which would have deprived us everything that followed. This device is aimed at businesses, just like the first SSDs, and from those big pockets, the R&D will be paid for, after which time regular people will get them for the manufacturing cost plus some profit margin.

Unlike all the "wouldn't buy" folks above, I am interested.
I've been waiting for a device with at least as much screen area as a normal papeback book, without weighing so much that I might as well bring along a netbook.
Being that large does suggest a portability problem: I can see it in a backpack or briefcase, but not carried around.
And book replacements will still need many things that books provide: the ability to make marginal notes, post multiple bookmarks (like sticky notes), flip through it looking for a familiar section. And maybe they can come with a spray-can of that musty-paper scent.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I agree 100% with the whole sealed battery thing.
Let us put in a set of AAA or AA 2/4 of them. You can pick a set of rechargable AAA and charger for under $20. Then if in a pinch you can always buy some alkaline.
I made sure my digital camera uses AA batteries (4ea) for the same reason and I don't buy any Apple crap with their proprietary sealed batteries either.

Status
Not open for further replies.