Playing the wait game

Masterjuggler98

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I've been looking at a nice Lenovo y700. It's got very respectable specs (GTX 960M 4Gb, i7-6700HQ, 16gb ram, dual drive bays, etc), with a one year warranty.

Right now it's floating around $900 depending on where you look. My dilemma is this: Should I jump on this laptop which I know I'll use for the next several years, or should I wait two to three more months for the back to school sales, and try to find a similar laptop for $200-$300 cheaper from dell outlet or costco refurbished?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I neglected to mention that my current laptop (an old, very slow dell vostro 1500) has a broken hinge on one side, and the other will follow suit very shortly. I'm unsure if it will last until the next round of sales, however, I do not use it for work and can use my desktop for all my needs if I really need to.

It doesn't sound like you need to purchase a laptop immediately since you can use your laptop. My suggestion is to just wait for the back to school sales to kick off or waiting until your current laptop actually breaks. Whichever comes first.

I too am playing the waiting game.

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad y470 that is currently my secondary laptop. I want to replace it because it runs too hot even after changing the thermal paste, the resolution is only 1366x768 and it simply refuses to accept Lenovo's bluetooth drivers specific for this laptop.

I am not sure if I simply want to buy an inexpensive laptop using Intel's 7th gen CPUs and integrated GPU when they are released on Q3 2016. Or buy a gaming laptop with a dedicated GPU (nVidia Pascal generation) that is more powerful than the Radeon HD 8850m (slightly more poweral than the nVidia 945m) in my current primary laptop and the new laptop my primary laptop.

Masterjuggler98

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I figure once the back to school sales are on, and/or dell outlet has its +40% off deals, I ought to be able to get a pretty good 6th gen i7, with at the very least a gtx 960M for not much more than $600-$700.

I'm in the (as far as I know) very small camp that hates waiting for the next technology. The way I see it, I'll be able to use the current, or even high end previous gen technology for the next several years without feeling left behind, at a fraction of the price. Admittedly, I am by no standards a serious gamer, and can live without ultra settings on a 4k display. My gaming consists of graphically modded skyrim and a few driving sims. Most of my use is video watching and light cad work.

Pascal and NVMe would be nice, but I'm certainly not going to wait around until the prices for them are reasonable, at which point I'll be waiting for the next new thing.

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
If I were you, I'll give other brands a chance to try, and wait for the summer sale since it's coming soon. Some said to wait for new tech generation on NVidia GPU in Q3/Q4, but I think it's a bit too long. If you don't play games a lot, don't even worth waiting.