PlayStation 3 Finally Hacked With a USB Stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
It would appear long gone are the days of disassembling the unit to solder a Chip to the main board. Amazing to see how fast these procedures are evolving(im sure old school xbox and ps2 modders understand what im saying haha).I have a few friends who would be more than happy to get their hands on one of these lol

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
i forecast sales for ps3 will rocket - lets face it..thats the main reason why xbox 360 had great sales..because everyone could mod it easily.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]i forecast sales for ps3 will rocket - lets face it..thats the main reason why xbox 360 had great sales..because everyone could mod it easily.[/citation]

yup. worth the wait.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]I can see a lot of people love to play without pay. Bunch of free leechers.[/citation]

so what?and im proud of it!
yeah i'll setup a dummy account so my psn account doesnt get shutdown but i certainly will still buy games (on the assumption that online games require legit games!) - i'm sick of buying games which last 2 days.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Again.. piracy sucks.. but having to use a disk every time to play a game is retarded.. PC's, consoles.. its all about controlling the media/format .. but the more they restrict the harder people try to break it. Games should be down loadable for $20... but if you cant wait.. the stores should have them on the shelf for $30. at that price I couldn't help myself.. i would spend more in a couple of months on games then is spend all year. Seems simple to me.. but then again.. what the F@ck do i know :)

G

Well I'm no pirate and the idea of having my games on the hard drive seems very appealing. Especially with some games ungodly loading times

stox

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
$169.99 AUD for a USB stick with some software? If people are going to rip off the games, how many are going to rip off the software from this stick and just use their own?

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
[citation][nom]stox[/nom]$169.99 AUD for a USB stick with some software? If people are going to rip off the games, how many are going to rip off the software from this stick and just use their own?[/citation]

It might be a hardware + software to make it work. But yea, if it was just a software, people will just pirate it.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Again.. piracy sucks.. but having to use a disk every time to play a game is retarded.. PC's, consoles.. its all about controlling the media/format .. but the more they restrict the harder people try to break it. Games should be down loadable for $20... but if you cant wait.. the stores should have them on the shelf for $30. at that price I couldn't help myself.. i would spend more in a couple of months on games then is spend all year. Seems simple to me.. but then again.. what the F@ck do i know[/citation]

I Agree...But would like to add ALL games need a free download DEMO...If they are going to ask 50 to 60 for a game I need to know if it sucks or not...I dont know how many wii games my friend has Downloaded that was not worth the time it took to download much less the 30 - 50 bucks it would have cost...So it would be nice to do the same for the PS3...But Sony could prevent the need by providing demos (to weed out sucky games) and lower the price.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
This is a Sony trick! Seems that this is to easy to do AND it will be easy for Sony to block, so it seems that this is an inside job. Sony has always been hurting on PS3 sales and this will make everyone run out to buy a PS3 and this mod(170 bucks!!! WTF!!) and then in two or three months Sony will release a firmware update that will block this. Seems like a super easy way to get sales up if you ask me.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"I Agree...But would like to add ALL games need a free download DEMO...If they are going to ask 50 to 60 for a game I need to know if it sucks or not...I dont know how many wii games my friend has Downloaded that was not worth the time it took to download much less the 30 - 50 bucks it would have cost...So it would be nice to do the same for the PS3...But Sony could prevent the need by providing demos (to weed out sucky games) and lower the price. "

Demo is good idea.. but it should be the first level or act.. then you don't have to re-download the whole game just the other levels or acts.

ally

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
This is rumor control, here are the facts.

♥ This is not an exploit - it's a clone of the JIG Tool used by Sony to enter machines into service mode for repairs and the like. The term and methodology may be familiar to those of you whom have used "Pandora" batteries for the venerable PSP.

♥ This is not a USB Memory Key. Nobody is going to "upload the files" so you can have it for free. It's a complex device with its own FPGA. Will it be cloned? Probably. Will it be cheaper? Probably. Will it be free for you to torrent? No.

♥ This can not be software patched - ever. The methodology of the device is that it sends the required handshake to the SYSCON which then allows the PS3 to enter a Package Management mode. This is very similar to a service or debug mode insomuch as the unit relaxes security policies while in this mode. This could, for example, allow for a custom firmware package to potentially be installed, thus circumventing the requirement to use the device at each and every boot time. The SYSCON is not writeable by the console and as such no software patch can fix this; only a hardware revision ala the PSP 3000.

The bottom line is this, however - this device does work. It does everything as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.