PlayStation 3 is Finally Not a Money Loser for Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I always thought the business model on consoles was interesting - companies willing to take a loss (huge for some of them) on the hardware, to get the items into homes, so people will buy games, etc for them. It's crazy that they are just at the point of not losing money.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
This is why Microsoft didn't include everything in their consoles. (HD-DVD at the time, WiFi etc would have added a higher prices tag) X-boxes would have probably been around the same price.. But how many people honestly bought the PS3 cause of the Blu-Ray player? *Raises hand*

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The money is in the games that are way overpriced. I can see paying more for a game if is original (some do come out) with new coding, lots of good gameplay and such but most games come off a cookie cutter press mentality (think movie games) and they pump them out.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Ha ha Nintendo made money on every Wii sold from day one.[/citation]
The Wii has also been a **** console from day one.

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Honestly, I may be a dinosaur, but I still think Blu-Ray is not worth the $10 premium for a higher definition content. I still prefer DVD despite the lower resolution especially from cost & flexibility standpoint.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]The Wii has also been a **** console from day one.[/citation]

The market wholeheartedly disagreed. Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell. They made the right moves and were rewarded.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell.[/citation]
Doesn't that just confirm what I said? In other words, the Wii IS a **** console?

Just because it sells doesn't mean it's good. Dollar stores get plenty of business, but you also get the crap that you paid for.

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]Doesn't that just confirm what I said? In other words, the Wii IS a console?[/citation]

Any idiot can put together high-end hardware, it's the easiest thing in the world. The Wii is smaller, cheaper, uses less power and sold better than the competition. How is that not good?

The purpose of a product (in this case a console) is to sell, that's the only reason it's made. A product that fulfills its purpose is a good product and the fact that Wii is underpowered compared to the competition just underscores how good it is.

Sorry, I can look at consoles only from a business perspective, I wouldn't be caught dead using any of them. :)

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
(I'll probably get a million red thumbs down for this but)

I agree with killerclick that the Wii is a great product. By great, I mean successful. They fill a market and Sony & MS would love to have their numbers. Some of you "real gamers" assume the authority to decide who belongs to your prestigious "gamers" group. So go ahead. Spend your thousands $$ on gamer PCs .. me, I'll just go back to playing Super Mario Galaxy - (which I consider a REAL FUN GAME) -- and continue visiting THG because I like Tech news.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hah, and it only took 4 years :D. It was loosing so much money that I'm surprised it took so long, as well as that it was left alive bleeding money like it was. I really doubt that Sony will make money on the PS3 overall, but I guess we'll see.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Amen Xerroz! The console all have sucky controls for FPS like COD or BF2. Wii rok'd their socks and other console don't compete for the market niche the Wii targets. XButt and Piss3 are good in graphics and BD for the Piss3. I bought the Piss3 because the price of a good Bluray player was so close and I could stream to the PS3. I don't use it to play games because there are no good controls for it. it's a player and that's it and very very very very suky wireless.... g? pleeeezee. If you want to game go with PC for sure.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
In the future: Sony loses $10 for every "Move" sold.
In the future after that: Sony increases PSN Plus fee to $70 a year and increases "Move" by 50%
In the future after that: Sony "Move" no longer money loser

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]2006: Blu-ray drive, $600. Rest of the PS3? Extra![/citation]

BR drive cost at launch was $125.00. RSX was $129.00. Cell was $89.00.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]domenic[/nom](I'll probably get a million red thumbs down for this but)I agree with killerclick that the Wii is a great product. By great, I mean successful. They fill a market and Sony & MS would love to have their numbers. Some of you "real gamers" assume the authority to decide who belongs to your prestigious "gamers" group. So go ahead. Spend your thousands $$ on gamer PCs .. me, I'll just go back to playing Super Mario Galaxy - (which I consider a REAL FUN GAME) -- and continue visiting THG because I like Tech news.[/citation]
Its true that the Wii has been successful from a business standpoint, but they must be careful, lest they repeat the problems that ultimately destroyed the Atari.

The constant struggle going on with consoles is finding the balance between giving freedom to developers, while maintaining quality control. Nintendo seems to have removed all quality restrictions these days... Their game market is saturated with boring titles that sell only a few copies. Nintendo makes a few dollars, then its over. The problem I referenced with Atari was that their market, too, was saturated with cruddy titles that constantly failed to deliver ANYTHING (E.T. comes to mind).

Nintendo isn't there yet, but that ratio of good-to-crap games is starting to get in the unacceptable range. Granted, Atari had no means to control the content, but the idea is the same.

Oh, and congrats Sony. Should stop some of the hemorrhaging of cash they are going through now.

Status
Not open for further replies.