PlayStation Vita Sales Continue to Plummet in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well 3ds had almost no specs and sold for a hig prise so not strangely it had a ruff start but ps vita is in the cinda stange line for ppl ho like to game on hig end devices but dont like to game on the hig en smart phones most of em pobebly own, and btw wtf psp is still selling ?? i had one for 1 year and i culd not find a single good game for it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom] and btw wtf psp is still selling ?? i had one for 1 year and i culd not find a single good game for it.[/citation]

Still have my PSP lying around somewhere, but that's exactly the experience I had with it. PS Vita is most likely going to suffer the same problem.

Specs don't make a handheld console. Good games do.

Shame the 3DS and PS Vita both have poor battery life...

G

Lets see...........$250 for a PS Vita or....... $250 for a PS3 hmmm. Tough choice.

Not really.

GreyMachine

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Also these sales are only in japan, im sure the numbers will be bigger than 18K four weeks after the world wide release...

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
i knew it. sony's overpricing will eventually boomerang on them.
lower the price to $150 and see the psv's flying off the shelves again.
early adopters will feel screwed ('apple'd) though. that thing doesn't deserve to be priced over $150.

G

In japan there are so many small third party for the psp that are hella cheap like $5-$10 cheap so people buy it for those games (the doujin ones if anyone knows what I am talking about). However for the ps vita not so much... sure the graphics are hella nice and there are some good games on it, lots people in japan are waiting for cheaper prices and more small developers to release.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i knew it. sony's overpricing will eventually boomerang on them.lower the price to $150 and see the psv's flying off the shelves again. early adopters will feel screwed ('apple'd) though. that thing doesn't deserve to be priced over $150.[/citation]
Funny calling the PS Vita overpriced. It's hardware is almost identical to a phone, with the exception of being much faster. Yet it's cheaper.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
@de5_roy you do realize that Sony is actually losing money per Sony vita sold? How is being overpriced?? Sony's vita just might have the same fate as the PSP. Sure the graphics are great but I'm sure it will be lacking games. I don't even play with my PSP anymore.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I personally am not all that surprised; I think that this is rather similar to the 3DS' lukewarm welcome. Sony has a pretty nice piece of kit, very similar to the PSP upon its release. The problem here, of course, is that while Sony may be losing money on the hardware, it's still not priced low enough to move in the market. If they can drop it to at least $199US, it'd likely start moving again.

[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]well 3ds had almost no specs and sold for a hig prise[/citation]
No, the 3DS was much more comparable to the PSV. The specs are far, FAR closer than the DS/DSi were to the PSP. And yes, even then we saw how poorly the 3DS sold at a $249.99US MSRP.

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Funny calling the PS Vita overpriced. It's hardware is almost identical to a phone, with the exception of being much faster. Yet it's cheaper.[/citation]
And does anyone really pay $300-600US for a smartphone? They don't; they pay $100-200US typically, getting it subsidized through their service contract. While they wind up paying the same in the long run, (Contracts run $100US+ a month when equal non-contract service typically goes for $40-50US/month) for the vast majority, this makes the price invisible to them.

Then show them a $250US handheld, and they freak out, as that seems entirely too high to them compared to a PS3 for the same price. (or an Xbox 360 or Wii for less)

[citation][nom]fatalshot808[/nom]@de5_roy you do realize that Sony is actually losing money per Sony vita sold? How is being overpriced?? Sony's vita just might have the same fate as the PSP.[/citation]
It's overpriced to what people are expecting to pay for something in that segment. In devices like that, much of the high cost comes not from the "power" components, (CPU, GPU, RAM) but rather the "interface" components. I'm sure the cost of the higher-resolution touchscreen, COUPLED with having a more complex set of the PSP's input devices on top of that, AND the touchpad on the back likely stack things up there.

Oh, and suffering the PSP's fate wouldn't be all that bad, given that it's managed over 70 million units sold, which makes it, by far, the most credible handheld to ever be made by anyone but Nintendo; vs. the DS it's managed a 32.4% market share... Which is better than the PS3's market share of 27.5%.,, And the next-most-successful handheld was Sega's Game Gear, which sputtered out at a mere 11 million units sold, and an 8.5% market share vs. the Game Boy.

G

Give it some time. It just came out of its mummy's tummy. Soon we'll see what it can do

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The West seems to have a "doom and gloom" approach to Sony. Remember how the PS3 was going to be a massive failure?

Give it time and the PS Vita will pick up.

G

The PSP was my favorite handheld, I still play Monster Hunter and Peace Walker on the daily. The Vita's price tag sits nice for me. While seeing posts about a "Drastic Price cut needed!!" does fill my pockets with joy, i hope Sony stands strong with there price. You know what they say "Quality over quantity".

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Well, after playing on a cheaper Tegra2 tablet and even my Samsung GS2, I see absolutely no point into getting a portable gaming console.

Sorry Sony, but the same formula won't be enough to leverage the crushing advantage Smartphones and Tablets have here. If a person already has a capable smartphone, getting a Vita is redundant.

Cheers!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GreyMachine[/nom]Also these sales are only in japan, im sure the numbers will be bigger than 18K four weeks after the world wide release...[/citation]

there isnt one japanese game at launch, uncharted is the only system seller it has, and i have no idea if that is even popular over there.

[citation][nom]fatalshot808[/nom]@de5_roy you do realize that Sony is actually losing money per Sony vita sold? How is being overpriced?? Sony's vita just might have the same fate as the PSP. Sure the graphics are great but I'm sure it will be lacking games. I don't even play with my PSP anymore.[/citation]

they are screwing us with memory sticks, and are they really loosing money each sale? not do you think they are, but are they for sure?

[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]I personally am not all that surprised; I think that this is rather similar to the 3DS' lukewarm welcome. Sony has a pretty nice piece of kit, very similar to the PSP upon its release. The problem here, of course, is that while Sony may be losing money on the hardware, it's still not priced low enough to move in the market. If they can drop it to at least $199US, it'd likely start moving again.No, the 3DS was much more comparable to the PSV. The specs are far, FAR closer than the DS/DSi were to the PSP. And yes, even then we saw how poorly the 3DS sold at a $249.99US MSRP.And does anyone really pay $300-600US for a smartphone? They don't; they pay $100-200US typically, getting it subsidized through their service contract. While they wind up paying the same in the long run, (Contracts run $100US+ a month when equal non-contract service typically goes for $40-50US/month) for the vast majority, this makes the price invisible to them.Then show them a $250US handheld, and they freak out, as that seems entirely too high to them compared to a PS3 for the same price. (or an Xbox 360 or Wii for less)It's overpriced to what people are expecting to pay for something in that segment. In devices like that, much of the high cost comes not from the "power" components, (CPU, GPU, RAM) but rather the "interface" components. I'm sure the cost of the higher-resolution touchscreen, COUPLED with having a more complex set of the PSP's input devices on top of that, AND the touchpad on the back likely stack things up there.Oh, and suffering the PSP's fate wouldn't be all that bad, given that it's managed over 70 million units sold, which makes it, by far, the most credible handheld to ever be made by anyone but Nintendo; vs. the DS it's managed a 32.4% market share... Which is better than the PS3's market share of 27.5%.,, And the next-most-successful handheld was Sega's Game Gear, which sputtered out at a mere 11 million units sold, and an 8.5% market share vs. the Game Boy.[/citation]
3ds didnt sell because no games.
it continued to sell crap because when 1 game came out, it was so long after launch that no one trusted that they would put the good ones out fast enough... as it stands im waiting till next christmas for mine
and than it sold well because by christmass it had its 5 great games and 3 serious system movers.

psv is currently only in japan, and not one system seller is on it yet for japan. (again how popular is uncharted there)

[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]The West seems to have a "doom and gloom" approach to Sony. Remember how the PS3 was going to be a massive failure?Give it time and the PS Vita will pick up.[/citation]

the ps3 was moronically expensive, but still a good value if you consider it has a ps2 in it, and no memory cards any more... i so want a 60gb version...

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]3ds didnt sell because no games.it continued to sell crap because when 1 game came out, it was so long after launch that no one trusted that they would put the good ones out fast enough...[/citation]
3DS sales *did* pick up once the price dropped, even before games came out for it.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the ps3 was moronically expensive, but still a good value if you consider it has a ps2 in it,[/citation]
This stopped happening quite some time ago, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.