Please help converting unallocated disk space into Recovery Partition

vn_mnm

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I tried to be a lab rat and bit the M$FT deal to upgrade my Dell XPS 13 2015 from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Home. I would say I was extremely disappointed.

But more problematic was, as I tried to factory reset it to Windows 8.1 using Dell's factory image, when the system booted up on Windows 8.1 again, my total usable disk space shrunk as much as 10 gb, and there are too many Recovery Partition :

http://

On the image, you would be seeing a lot of Recovery Partitions, but originally, there was also another 450 mb Recovery Partition. I tried to reclaim disk space by using the Diskpart cmd in MS-DOS to override delete the 450mb and the 750mb (in the image). Both of them turned 'Unallocated'. However, I was only able to merge the 450mb partition with my C:\ drive.

With these 2 Recovery Partitions deleted, the Dell factory image as well as the Windows Recovery Platform were lost (!)

I have contacted Dell to report the trouble and asked them for a download link for the factory image. However, I want to ask you guys:

_How can I turn the 750mb unallocated into Recovery Partition once again ?

_Once I downloaded the factory image from Dell and created an external recovery disk, will restoring my laptop from this external recovery disk effectively remove all the remaining Recovery Partitions ?

If not, please show me how to both remove all of these recovery partitions and restore my laptop to its factory state with the Dell's factory image inside the ssd of it ?

Thank you very much to anyone who helps me out.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
450mb and 750mb are not Recovery partitions. They are some sort of System Reserved (boot info). Or just unallocated space.
A real Recovery partition is that 6.92GB at the right.

So...in Disk Management, move that 750mb to the right of your C partition.
Then see if you can extend that C partition into that space.

Of course, anytme you start messing partitions, you should have a fallback situation set up. A full disk image or just prepared to reinstall the whole thing.

vn_mnm

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

Thanks for replyng me m8. I opened Disk Management but I could not move the 750mb partition to the right to absorb it.

So once I downloaded the factory image from Dell and created an external recovery disk, will restoring my laptop from this external recovery disk effectively remove all the remaining Recovery Partitions ?

If not, please show me how to both remove all of these recovery partitions and restore my laptop to its factory state with the Dell's factory image inside the ssd of it ?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Booting and Recovering from the Dell factory image should return the system to exactly as it came from the store.

Solution