Please help me choose a macbook? Never owned an apple product.

luca26

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

My laptop just died on me, was a pretty bad acer laptop with windows 10, bought it on sale at a big box retail store, had an i7 in it, I just felt it never ran good since I got it,I feel it was never made to last.

I really need to buy a new laptop, I use it for work, general task, light usage, & would hope to learn some light photo editing & video editing on the stock software that comes on OSX10.

After being a heavy android user I recently purchased an iPhone 6S Plus and absolutely love the software experience of IOS I find the build quality to be great, and just absolutely smooth software experience which is why im leaning towards buying a Mac!

These are the laptops I am looking at right now:

New 2016 Macbook Pro 13Inch - 1839$ + Tax
Refurbished MacBook Pro 13.3 Inch - $1489 + Tax (Released Early 2015 According to Apple's Site) or $1549 brand new
Apple MD711LL/A MacBook Air 11.6" Laptop - 1.4Ghz i5, 4GB Memory, 128GB Flash St ($574.99 from NewEgg Refurbished)

Im looking at the Air as it would be good for starting out im just not sure how its going to perform or long it will last me. Also leaning towards the brand new 13inch pro that came out, may just be worth spending the $2000 right now and have a really good laptop for the next 4-5 years? OR will it not last me that long...

Solution
Keeping in mind the Airs have been dropped I would suggest starting there due to price, and they still should receive support and updates for a few years yet. I recently purchased the much maligned Macbook for general web and Netflix duty, I would've gotten the Air but the store had a good deal on the Macbook. The larger SSD and IPS display caught my eye, very pleased with it thus far.

*Flexes massive GPU on desktop rig to divert attention from Mac purchase*

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Keeping in mind the Airs have been dropped I would suggest starting there due to price, and they still should receive support and updates for a few years yet. I recently purchased the much maligned Macbook for general web and Netflix duty, I would've gotten the Air but the store had a good deal on the Macbook. The larger SSD and IPS display caught my eye, very pleased with it thus far.

*Flexes massive GPU on desktop rig to divert attention from Mac purchase*

Solution

luca26

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I can get the new air from apple 13inch is $1150 for the i5 and 128gb ssd model, I thought these were released in 2012 but Apple site says 2015 is this accurate, I feel like th 13 inch air would suit my needs in terms of cost, performance, and size but will it last in longetivity or is this laptop really outdated

Btw these ar prices in Canada as per apples website

Everybody ask this question, but how should we know? We don't know exactly what you use it for, how hard are you with it blah-blah.

For sure MacBooks won't fall apart like those Wintels.

IMO, the new Books introduced are overpriced for little benefit, that's just my opinion.

2015 Air @1,100 - I get that, Apple refurb, which gives exact new warranty is what I would go for if I need a Macbook right now.