Please help me identify this internal laptop component

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
Hi, I've just opened my Toshiba L55W-C5259 to replace the M.2 SSD, when I noticed this empty space that looks like some kind of HDD slot?

http://

Can someone please tell me what this is, and how I can get a 2.5 SSD in there if it IS a drive slot? Google yields no answers. :( Thanks so much.

Solution
Yea it does look like a space for an HDD. You could probably get a cable and the shell to mount one there off a used system, but I don't see where the cable would connect on the motherboard. It might be on the other side, which may make it more trouble than it is worth. They also might not have placed one on this motherboard. Hard to say.
Feb 10, 2018

SOOO I just learned that other models of this laptop have a HDD installed in that exact kind of slot. So that's what it must be. But mine has no enclosure or any way to connect a drive to it. Pretty stupid...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Yea it does look like a space for an HDD. You could probably get a cable and the shell to mount one there off a used system, but I don't see where the cable would connect on the motherboard. It might be on the other side, which may make it more trouble than it is worth. They also might not have placed one on this motherboard. Hard to say.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.