Please help - No Bootable disk

beagles8mylunch

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Please... all the answers to similar questions are written with the assumption that we all know how to do a lot more than most OPs know. I don't low what "boy to the os disc and do a startup repair" or "HIRENS" means. I'm panicking. I don't have a cd drive in that acer aspire laptop or in the iMac I'm using to type this. I don't trust cloud services so it has gotten to be an ordeal to backup things. I still would do that but both parents are in hospital. I don't need pity, I'm just explaining how I got here.

I was running through the list from the malware tips site, on dealing with trojans. I was attempting to be sure that I didn't have an infection because the AVG installation I'd had was suddenly just gone... suspecting a virus or hack, I was starting that malware process with the Kaspersky TDSSKiller app. I set it up as directed then went to bed. I woke up to no bootable disk. I have HOURS of non-repeatable audio recordings, interviews... hours and hours... gone unless there is a chance it is still there.

Please don't abbreviate terms unless it is something like hard drive, etc. I don't know what the steps are or what "diags" to run or how if the disk won't boot.

1. what do I do in the F2 menu I was able to get into? I *think* it can see the HD... it lists a number for one. I have no clue what options to select to attempt a reboot. I'm afraid i'll accidentally wipe the drive when all I want is to boot safely.
2. If it does reboot, how do I know what caused this and should I send it back to Acer? I mean, if it a file that did this then I don't send it to them, right? I cannot take the thing apart bc it is under warranty. I just don't know if it is something I can or should try to fix.
3. If it doesn't reboot... does that mean the data is gone?
4. Is there a way to check for this sort of problem beforehand so I don't end up here again?

Thanks for all responses, but especially those in plain English. :) Also, please don't close the topic if you've responded with acronyms. I saw someone did that with an OP who obviously had less of an idea how to proceed than I do... and that's saying something. :/

beagles8mylunch

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
OMG... I am still searching but I am finding threads where people tell the OP to use a boot CD or a recovery disk - uh, if I HAD one... and besides, that would wipe out all data since purchase... not really what is desirable.

Another one the person says "Back up all necessary data to an external device such as a disk, flash drive or hard drive
* 2 Make sure all programs are closed and shut down your Acer laptop by opening your Start menu and selecting "Shut Down" from the options for shutting down and restarting windows." Completely, IGNORING that the OP stated they couldn't even get into windows in the first place!!

Does no one know how to use the F2 menu so that I can reboot SAFELY? I do NOT want to wipe the drive. I need that data... if at all humanly possible to obtain it.

I cannot find an article or answer that actually addresses how to deal with this as it is asked... the answers all side step the most important parts.