Please help regarding final decision: Asus UX305UA or MSI MSI GL62 6QF

sabya

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy a new laptop before relocation. Previously I considered Asus UX 303UB which is no more in stock in my city. Now, I have shortlisted the following two models available in the market:

1. Asus UX305UA

Specs:
Core i5 6200U, 8GB DDR3 Ram,
Storage 256GB SSD,
integrated graphics, 1.3 kg

2. MSI GL62 6QF

Specs:
Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB DDR4 Ram,
Storage 1TB HDD 7200 RPM,
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX960M 2GB, 2.3 kg

I know the advantages of MSI (gaming) and the Asus (light-weight, battery) laptops. Kindly help me with the following queries to make the final decision (assume no gaming at all):

1. My main tasks are programming, web-browsing, and reading. Which one is better on this respect. Will MSI be faster for works like heavy programming, multiple web-pages etc opening although MSI lacks the SSD while Asus does not?

2. I plan to keep this laptops for long time, 5-6 years. Which one is less likely to slow down with future softwares?

3. Do you think MSI hardware is more likely to fail earlier than Asus due to heating from quad core CPU?

Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
I5 vs I7, and SSD vs HD, I PICK SSD.

You are correct, you don't want a hot running laptop (any portable for that matter). I7 and a dedicated GPU will do that, and you don't do gaming, so why all that power just to generate more heat? and lower batt life?

Plus, as mentioned, you don't know what smooth is until you savored a SSD machine.

No fight for me, ASUS with SSD my clear choice. Just make sure 256GB is bid enough for everything you wanna put in there.
I5 vs I7, and SSD vs HD, I PICK SSD.

You are correct, you don't want a hot running laptop (any portable for that matter). I7 and a dedicated GPU will do that, and you don't do gaming, so why all that power just to generate more heat? and lower batt life?

Plus, as mentioned, you don't know what smooth is until you savored a SSD machine.

No fight for me, ASUS with SSD my clear choice. Just make sure 256GB is bid enough for everything you wanna put in there.

Solution

sabya

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your help.