Please Help! What Laptop brands are good? Any recommended Laptops?

xphrozen1

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Hello! I know quite a bit about PC's but not much about laptops and really need your guys' help! My cousin is buying a new laptop soon, expecting to pay around ~$1000 CAD before taxes. He would like a laptop that can turn into a tablet / fold over, and should last a long time. Is this realistic? Do these kinds of laptops last a long time, are they worth it?

Also, Laptop brands are always confusing to me! Sometimes one brand is making good laptops, another isn't, other times that brand's laptops suck, and other laptops are better... Can someone please help me, what's a reliable laptop brand currently? And does anyone have any suggestions on a good laptop at his price point? Again, this is in CAD. Thanks so much for any help, my cousin is really counting on me, and I'm counting on your guys! <3

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
According to your doubts about convertible laptops I don't recommend them much because they tend to be very expensive and offer basic hardware

When it comes to price to performance nothing under 14 inches is ideal, indeed 14 inches is perfect for mobility

But if your needs involve getting your device into a very small place the only option is a convertible or ultrabook

It also depends on the software you require. When it comes to gaming don't expect something with 11 inches, and 15.6 is the most common size followed by 17.3 inches (which is too much for my taste)

For editing it reminds us the same thing. 13.3 inches and above

But if you only perform pretty normal taks, web browsing, light multitasking, multimedia (not gaming) etc you'll be picking a basic laptop (dual core, 4GB of RAM) with an SSD

Regarding brands based on what people and reviws say here is my conclusion:

ACER: Cheap but not even close to the best: improveable screens, cheap design, get hot easily, bad service

HP: Similar to acer, at times they are not even cheap and its performance decreases thanks to throttling, even worse designs than acer, poor quality and sopport

LENOVO: A bit better, good looking designs, good keyboards, good construction, good performance ad a drawback needless software and overpriced at times

MSI: Most of MSI laptops are either gaming or workstation laptops so they are recommended for those purposes. Great keyboard and touchpads, competitive prices, always innovating with smaller or more powerful solutions. Unfortunelly they don't look very good from my point of view

DELL: One of the best laptop brands since long ago, pretty cool esthetic, they run quite cool, gorgeous screens and in case of alienware they are always innovating. Drawbacks: Alienware laptops are overpriced

ASUS: One of the best brands too, really impressive designs, great quality, exceptional looks, excellent keyboards and touchpads, good screens, run cool and quite. Drawbacks, at times they are expensive

TOSHIBA: I haven't seen many toshiba laptops lately, as a matter of fact they get more expensive and you don't find good components on them but their screens and build quality are close to the best

APPLE: Stunning design, wonderful screens, very small, powerful for editing and any sort of content creation application. Friendly OS, build quiality. Disadvantages: really pricey, there are literally no cheap apple laptops and getting one of these because of the friendly interface is difficult

Nevertheless this depends on the model in particular all brands have both good and bad laptops so you'd better checked how a model in particular is

When it comes to 2 in 1 I think of lenovo yoga series

g-unit1111

Distinguished
HP: Similar to acer, at times they are not even cheap and its performance decreases thanks to throttling, even worse designs than acer, poor quality and sopport

I've never heard anything bad about HP's technical support, and my experience with them has never been poor, I wouldn't say good but more above average.

DELL: One of the best laptop brands since long ago, pretty cool esthetic, they run quite cool, gorgeous screens and in case of alienware they are always innovating. Drawbacks: Alienware laptops are overpriced

Alienware is also one of the most overrated brands in all of the PC industry. Dell laptops have nice screens, I'll give them that, but I do question some of the hardware choices they have in comparison to what the rest of laptop manufacturers offer.

MSI: Most of MSI laptops are either gaming or workstation laptops so they are recommended for those purposes. Great keyboard and touchpads, competitive prices, always innovating with smaller or more powerful solutions. Unfortunelly they don't look very good from my point of view

What do you mean by that? :??:

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Well I have heard vey bad things from both HP and acer many times, I heard in the past they were good but know they get very hot indeed in the HP site there are bad comments about the OMEN laptops

Second: ASUS and MSI offer really good things for less price than alienware

3rd: In my country (mexico) and in many others most of MSI laptops are GAMING AND WS oriented laptops unlike acer, HP or even ASUS which have a good percentage of both normal and high performance computers

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Well I have heard vey bad things from both HP and acer many times, I heard in the past they were good but know they get very hot indeed in the HP site there are bad comments about the OMEN laptops

I think the Omen line has been discontinued.

Second: ASUS and MSI offer really good things for less price than alienware

No argument there.

3rd: In my country (mexico) and in many others most of MSI laptops are GAMING AND WS oriented laptops unlike acer, HP or even ASUS which have a good percentage of both normal and high performance computers

That's the way it is with most laptop manufacturers. You can't discredit one or the other over that.