After a while, electronics--rather, their batteries-- retain a residual charge. In other words, although they appear to be 'dead' and fail to work, the battery never fully discharges. I'm assuming this laptop has been around a bit? It might help to let it completely die, IF it'll go to zero, or near that, and then plug it into the charger. But if it's working okay, as they say, "Don't sweat the small stuff." Just run it until it either totally goes or you have to replace the battery (if that's financially feasible). Hope that helps. Have a good day!