Plenty of available memory; performance still sluggish

forkintheroad

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
I have a approximately 2-3 year old HP laptop. There are 357 GB of available memory out of 441 GB.

The system is still slow-ish. Videos are extremely choppy on most websites. It can take a while for pages to load. Saving files (such as word documents) should be automatic, but that also is slow. You get the idea.

I have tested for viruses. I have defragged the hard drive. Deleted temp files. Removed applications. Shut down start up programs. Even without trying all of this, with this amount of unused memory, I don't believe I should be having such performance issues.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

My computer was even refreshed recently, albeit accidentally. A Windows 10/8 debacle. So, I doubt a refresh is the answer.

Solution
your avaliable memory has really close to nothing to do with performance, You most likely need more RAM(Memory) and a better CPU, you also might be overheating causing this lag. most lag in applications is caused when you max out your avaliable memory on your ram, this means the computer is going to respond 10x slower while maxed out, same with the CPU. Videos are choppy because you need to install the lastest video drivers, and probably many other drivers need to be installed. this includes updating java and flash player.

After all that I would open cmnd prompt as admin and type Chkdsk /r "/c" C is the drive your OS is on, if a different letter then just replace, DO NOT ADD THE "" for example Chkdsk /r /c

bailojustin

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
your avaliable memory has really close to nothing to do with performance, You most likely need more RAM(Memory) and a better CPU, you also might be overheating causing this lag. most lag in applications is caused when you max out your avaliable memory on your ram, this means the computer is going to respond 10x slower while maxed out, same with the CPU. Videos are choppy because you need to install the lastest video drivers, and probably many other drivers need to be installed. this includes updating java and flash player.

After all that I would open cmnd prompt as admin and type Chkdsk /r "/c" C is the drive your OS is on, if a different letter then just replace, DO NOT ADD THE "" for example Chkdsk /r /c

Solution