Plugged earphones wrong hole

Hamsters_1

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
My computer is an ASUS TP500L/LN I accidentally plugged my earphones into the wrong hole I accidentally put it in the hole next to the earphones, and as soon as I did that it turned off. I tried turning it back on and nothing happened. My computer also won't charge. Please help me if you know how to help. Or fix the problem.

sizzling

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yeah that's USB which carries a 5v supply. My guess is this was shorted out. I'm not sure if its fixable, it depends what protection is built into the 5v rail. Often there is a sacrificial component which gets destroyed instead of more serious components, sort of like a fuse but not actually a fuse. A professional service engineer might be able to fix it or send it back to the manufacture. Both options could be expensive.

Hamsters_1

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

It is a rectangle shaped hole and it has like an ss next to it that connects to what looks like a USB symbol

sizzling

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yeah that's USB which carries a 5v supply. My guess is this was shorted out. I'm not sure if its fixable, it depends what protection is built into the 5v rail. Often there is a sacrificial component which gets destroyed instead of more serious components, sort of like a fuse but not actually a fuse. A professional service engineer might be able to fix it or send it back to the manufacture. Both options could be expensive.

superninja12

Estimable
Herald
May 18, 2015

I think it was a card reader.
Nevertheless I think it gets covered by the hardware warranty(free 3 years+-)
try to press the cmos reset button (bottom of the laptop probably, check manual)

Hamsters_1

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Okay thanks for your help

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hamsters_1 : "Plugged earphones in wrong hole computer turned off not working"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hamsters_1 : "The same thing happened to my computer it is and ASUS TP500L/LN please help me if anyone knows a solution to the problem. My c"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7kinja Laptop Tech Support 4
ScottyPXP Laptop Tech Support 1
PhoenixFlock Laptop Tech Support 1
DeRickz Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
WannaKnowWhy Laptop Tech Support 2
non_believer Laptop Tech Support 2
lettucelad Laptop Tech Support 7
Kaiserken Laptop Tech Support 1
dclxvi13 Laptop Tech Support 2
NTManiac Laptop Tech Support 0