Plugged in, not charging

mbreezy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I recently purchased a new HP ProBook. Out of the box the battery was not working, I was receiving a message "plugged in, not charging."

This seems to be rampant as there's a million threads on it throughout the internet. I've tried every remedy possible. I even called HP, ran a diagnostic on the battery (which came back as battery failed) and HP sent a new battery but I still have the same problem.

My situation seems a little different and I can't find anyone with the same symptoms.

- If I unplug the laptop while it's on it immediately powers off.
- The battery status says the battery is at 35% plugged in, not charging. My old battery said 21%. Both just stay at their percentage.
- If I pull out the battery the computer recognizes the battery is removed.

So basically I have a desktop that sits on my lap as I am not able to unplug it at all.
What's the community thinking about this?

InvalidError

Distinguished
My guess would be defective power management circuitry in the laptop itself, causing the laptop to report "bad battery" and refusing to (dis)charge no matter what battery is inserted. It detects battery presence, reports state of charge but does not otherwise touch the batteries.

mbreezy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

I think you're right.

Weird thing happened today. My battery % went from 35% to 36% at some point. Not sure when, just noticed it.

My old battery gradually went from 25% down to 21% over time, I've no idea what that is about since I can't use the laptop without the AC.

I really wish this were a software problem as I don't want to lose my laptop for some time to get warranty work done on it.

mbreezy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

I'll give this a try. It's a brand new notebook and I've had the issue since I unpacked it. I've tried just blowing on the contacts but to no avail. I'm assuming it's on the notebook's side as I've tried both batteries and same issue.

mbreezy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Well nothing worked so HP sent me a return box to overnight it to them. Its a month old so it should all be warranty. I'll let you know what I find out. Its crazy it's this common.

Tradesman1

Honorable
They may have had a production run that used a bad component and sent them out that way, let us know if you get same back or a completely different unit (and whether it's a new unit, that's always interesting...Hate to buy new, it be defective from the get go and then get sent a used refurb....hate that!