Plugging Netbook into Car

risaccess1

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello all.

I just had a quick question before going on a roadtrip.
I have a small netbook that draws about 3 amps at 12 volts from the AC adaptor. I want to plug the netbook directly into the 12 volt power outlet in my car so I dont have to bother with an inverter.

However, when the car is running, the alternator charging circuit boosts the voltage to around 14 volts.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the electrical tolerance of the computer, and if it would be damaged by the extra 2 volts. I can always just go buy an inverter if I need to.

Thanks!

Solution
If you mean plugging it in by means of a DC/universal adapter, you should be fine as long as the output specs match your netbooks input specs (usually +/- 5% is okay, - better than +). They're designed for that. If you have some other method in mind it might not be a good idea.

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

I've never heard of anyone doing that before but to say safe and make sure you don't damage your netbook I would just buy an inverter.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
If you mean plugging it in by means of a DC/universal adapter, you should be fine as long as the output specs match your netbooks input specs (usually +/- 5% is okay, - better than +). They're designed for that. If you have some other method in mind it might not be a good idea.

Solution

risaccess1

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Ok. Thanks for the prompt replies. I checked, and +/- 5% of 12 volts puts the input range of the netbook at 11.4 to 12.6 volts respectively. So 14 volts is way out of spec. It would be running at 116% power, which is probably not good for it. I'll go buy an inverter.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Only if the power is unconditioned. If you're using a DC adapter, it will hold the peak power output to whatever the rated output for the adapter is. It's the same as the car chargers for phones - 12-14V are available to the adapter, but it's going to step it down (and smooth it out) for the phone. Otherwise everyone's mobile phones would be going up in smoke.

A DC adapter isn't going to pass 12V (or any other voltage value) unless that's what it's rated output is.

What netbook brand and model do you have?