Polaroid Will Make Instant Film, Camera Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Very cool news. The only problems with polaroid film, at least older film, is it tends to fade over time, much quicker than traditional prints. The other problem is the wrapping around the film tends to come apart as well, even when stuck in a family album. I've got numerous polaroid pictures in the family albums from the 70's and 80's and many of them are fading or the wrapper around the film itself is coming apart. Hopefully the new products will be more robust to handle the aging process more gracefully, lol. Just my 2 cents. :)

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]I just don't see the point when you can use a digital camera...[/citation]
It's cheaper and more convenient than buying those cute little printers and their expensive ink.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
After the public outcry over them stopping production, you would figure the management would see value in the instant film division, and they wouldn't have to unretire the product.

"Let's get rid of our flagship, name-brand associated product..." Brilliant!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]I just don't see the point when you can use a digital camera...[/citation]

There are lots of people that prefer to hold something in their hand. Many from older generations are like that and there is nothing wrong with it. In the long run film and such will die out, but hopefully by that time the odds of losing precious moments, due to hardware failure, lack of backup, and what not, will be no more common place than losing that slip of paper with that woman's number on it.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]There are lots of people that prefer to hold something in their hand. Many from older generations are like that and there is nothing wrong with it. In the long run film and such will die out, but hopefully by that time the odds of losing precious moments, due to hardware failure, lack of backup, and what not, will be no more common place than losing that slip of paper with that woman's number on it.[/citation]Film will never die out, my opinion but I believe this has solid ground. Some of the BEST photographs are taken with film based cameras. Most lightning photography is still done with film.

G

Film will eventually die out for most applications as digital sensors have surpassed it in dynamic range.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]makes me wonder:anyone know if digital cameras have caught up to the quality of film based cameras yet? i have stopped following this a while ago.d[/citation]

Opinions vary on the number of megapixels needed to match traditional film. I've read that the MP count of 35mm film can vary anywhere from 10MP to 87MP. The wide variance depends on the type of film, ISO, camera and lenses used, and subject of the photo. So, it could be argued that a 12MP digital camera can reproduce the image quality of traditional 35mm film.

But one thing that digital images will never be able to reproduce is the clarity of the photo. This is simply due to film not breaking the image into pixels. Specifically, you can zoom into a photo taken with 35mm film and see minimal blurring at the edges of letters, numbers, and shapes, whereas when you zoom into a digital photo (no matter how many pixels) those same edges will be blurred because you are viewing individual pixels. Agree with this or not, there are countless examples available on the net, just Google it.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
What Polaroid need to do here is make their old product, but make it digital too. The pictures you take are stored in the whatever quality MP, but you can also choose an instant print option to produce the photo there and then. Digital camera plus the instant photo that Polaroid are famous for.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm interested in seeing what they come up with. I mean kodak has the closest thing to it with their dock printers or wireless printers but it's still a separate unit (which isn't bad).

Only bad thing wondering if this will weigh a lot considering all the technology packed into it.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
ukcal,

I was going to suggest the same thing - they'd make a killing. Whenever you're with friends at a birthday party or social gathering and take a photo, they'll always ask for copies. You can print multiple copies immediately and distribute.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Great minds think alike, JWL3 :D
And i agree completely for those kind of scenarios.
Let's hope Polaroid listen to our words of wisdom!

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
good great news.dont think that everything needs to be done in digital cause film still does the best movies/photos.............
not your digital tools or toys.

and you can still view photos taken in the 1800's.wonder where your ancestors will see your jpegs like they will forever use jpeg as a standard but film is film and it won't go away for a long time.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I always thought Polaroids were only good for taking boobie shots of your girlfriend, or other nefarious activities you couldn't be caught with while getting your film developed. Generally not the top notch kind of photographs anyway. Digital cameras arrived and nobody needed Polaroids anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Linga1985 Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
V Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 1