Political: Apple Rejects Healthcare App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Seriously, stop with the play by play on the apple app store. It's a privately owned store they can accept or deny anyone or anything. Much like the McDonald's no shoes no shirt no service policy.

mcshasta

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Apple can do what it wants. Sounds like an interesting app though. America could use some more fact apps. Especially, when it comes to politics.

MotorMouth

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]No part of Apple is a "private store". Apple is a publicly traded company, so keep the facts straight.[/citation]

Just because you are on Wall Street does not mean the general public owns you like the Government.

Apple is a private company that is traded on Wall Street. Their not owned by the White House... yet! If they were then you would have a valid point.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Does anyone else find it ironic that the person is upset that the single decider (Apple) bans an app that promotes a single payer /decider for health care?
I wonder if there is a lesson here?
I'll bet Apple has its own charts that show allowing Apple to have complete control make it better too.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Why am I starting to not care about stupid apple app news any more.... Apple still has yet to hook me in to buying one of their products. I don't own one single thing made by Apple. Maybe tom's needs a separate web site for apple products for people who care about overpriced stuff from this company lol.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
btw apple is only publicly owned if public stocks are over 51% and I somehow doubt that is the case. I think I looked it up a year ago and found out that like 4 large companies own controlling share of the stock and that makes it not public.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I don't get it, you all like Apple telling you what you should or shouldn't see? I don't know about you all, but I am smart enough to formulate my own opinions on things in a logical way and I don't need Apple stepping in and deciding that I am not capable of figuring it out on my own if an app is worthwhile or not. I guess that is one reason that I don't have an iPhone.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]I don't get it, you all like Apple telling you what you should or shouldn't see? I don't know about you all, but I am smart enough to formulate my own opinions on things in a logical way and I don't need Apple stepping in and deciding that I am not capable of figuring it out on my own if an app is worthwhile or not. I guess that is one reason that I don't have an iPhone.[/citation]
They aren't deciding what you should and shouldn't see. They are deciding what they do and do not want to carry in their store. I don't see the problem with that.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Apple's developers agreement specifically states that anyone from the general public can create an app for the iPhone, so the fact that the app was created by a lone developer is not a valid reason. Apple never told developers that apps could be rejected because Apple doesn't like them. This is the one and only reason that Apple is rejecting apps from its store. Apple is required to play by the rules of their own developers agreement. If they want to change the agreement then they need to post the changes on their website where developers can see the changes.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
This is a valid news story!

If you could install the app without using their store then it wouldn't be a problem. The fact is they control what you can and cannot see on YOUR device, and censorship is censorship.

The app was not rejected for technical reasons (which I think would be a fair criteria to ensure smooth running of the device), it was rejected for reasons of a political opinion.

(I do not live in America, and have no qualified opinion of your healthcare system...)

If you are OK with censorship on a device you own then so be it...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
By the way, anyone against government run healthcare is a moron. The USA's healthcare is as bad as a third world country. Countries suchas Canada and Germany have the best healthcare in the world.

G

nothing new its just apple and the bs. them trying to rule the world.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]longerlife[/nom]The app was not rejected for technical reasons (which I think would be a fair criteria to ensure smooth running of the device), it was rejected for reasons of a political opinion.(I do not live in America, and have no qualified opinion of your healthcare system...)If you are OK with censorship on a device you own then so be it...[/citation]
No, censorship would be the deliberate supression of information. Not wanting to associate with something because of its content is a fundamental right of people and companies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]By the way, anyone against government run healthcare is a moron. The USA's healthcare is as bad as a third world country. Countries suchas Canada and Germany have the best healthcare in the world.[/citation]
You do not know what you're talking about. Consider this: Americans have better survival rates than Europeans for common cancers. Americans have lower cancer mortality rates than Canadians. Americans have better access to treatment for chronic diseases than patients in other developed countries (and that's the dirty little secret of single-payer care: rationing). Lower income Americans are in better health than comparable Canadians. Americans spend less time waiting for care than patients in Canada and the UK. People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed (just look at the controvery in Canada over private clinics that have sprung up in defiance of the law, and how people are flocking to them). Americans are more satisfied with the care they receive than Canadians (the dissatisfaction comes from the insurance companies... that comes from lack of competition... that is the fault of government regulation). Americans have much better access to important new technologies (like medical imaging) that patients in Canada or the UK. Americans are responsible for the vast majority of ALL health care innovations.

Had enough yet? Or are you going to bring up the often quoted infant mortality rate? Just in case you were thinking about it, I will point out that the US has a significant problem with illegal immigration. They come into the country, they don't get prenatal care, and then go to the emergency room when it's time to have their babies. Furthermore, our infant mortality stats are compiled by CMS and they include ALL infant deaths from preterm through 1 year of age. Most of the other countries who report infant mortality statistics do NOT include pre-term infant mortality where the baby was below a certain weight. They also have a much shorter period of include post-term (like several weeks or months). So they also fail to capture many post-term deaths that CMS includes in our statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.