Pope Says That Technology Cannot Replace God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Gravity powerful? So powerful the tiny magnetic field of a fridge magnet can overpower the gravitational field of an entire planet :p

On a more serious note: of course technology can't replace God. Technology is real, God is a belief (or rather a delusion).

I'd think the church had more important things to do than this. For starters, punishing the paedophiles in the church (and no, shipping them of to a nice monastery in southern France with about $3000 a month doesn't count).

jimsmith59

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
oh so he stands by scientific theory now? i thought religion didn't believe in scientific theories like the theory of gravity or the theory of evolution

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
True science cannot replace God, but science can help understand God, and his very existance, by proof. Either by science, or by other things.

G

"he Pope gave a sermon on how man must not believe that technology can grant him the powers of God."

You mean like the power to stop starvation, natural disasters, general suffering? "God" doesn't use those powers anyway. "He" only doodles pictures of the virgin mother on chips, potatoes, sandwiches, trees, etc. Technology could do that with a laser and it would actually look like someone instead of a random blob.

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
he Pope gave a sermon on how man must not believe that technology can grant him the powers of God."

Thats like saying no matter how much i love my ipad it will never grant me power

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
" He also pointed to the recent tragic natural disasters as reminders that mankind is not all-powerful." ...so is he saying that god caused the disasters? Why does he rely on technology to protect him in the pope-mobile, and not just his belief?

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I'm surprised he didn't complain about how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates have broken the first commandment by raising themselves up to such an influence that they draw worship away from the lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.