Question Portable Hotspot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
I have this issue with my mobile portable hotspot which i haven't found any answers to online.

So I turn on the mobile hotspot on my phone, and enable mobile data. Internet is working fine on the phone. I connect to the hotspot from my laptop, it successfully connects and it there is also internet connection there. I start browsing the internet on the laptop, but after a few minutes, the internet connection goes away, both on the phone and on the laptop.
If i disable the hotspot and the mobile data on my phone, wait a few seconds, and turn back on the mobile data, it is working fine again. But if I turn back on the hotspot, and try connecting to it from my laptop, the same thing happens. It runs smooth for a few minutes, than connection goes away on both devices.

Do you have any suggestions what might cause this and how could I fix this?

Many thanks!

Well since you are using the phone's data for this, I would say that there is a problem with that.

It could be that even if you have 'unlimited' data on your account, that it slows down drastically after a certain point. Due to that, the slow down would occur a lot faster while a computer is accessing it as they use a lot more data.

Then it could be that your carrier/service provider is limiting the access/data flow. They may have restrictions on how it can be accessed/used. They could also see how much data is being used, well beyond normal for a phone, and cap the data or drastically slow it, to stop it being used that way.

For anything on the carrier/service provider involvement you would have to contact them.

NOTE: You say your 'portable hotspot' in the title and body of the message, but you also say the phone. They are actually two different things. There are actual portable hotspot devices, which aren't phones. From the info you gave, however, you are just using a phone 'as' as portable hotspot.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
Thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, under portable hotspot I meant sharing the internet connection of my phone, therefore using it as a portable hotspot.
I will contact the ISP to get an info on whether they monitor traffic, and whether they limit the use in these situations.
I think this might be the case, because i did a speedtest of my mobile data, download was around 60Mb/s, upload around 40Mb/s, and I have 100GB of data available per month, which has just been renewed.
I was thinking of buying a hotspot device as well, but if the ISP is restricting the data flow, it wouldn't make a difference.
I also have a usb stick with a SIM card mounting possibility, by which I can get internet access on my laptop. I will try taking my SIM card from the phone, and putting it into the stick. If the problem disappeares, I suppose the problem has to be with my phone.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
So I have a few updates on this case. I tried inserting the SIM card into the mobile broadband stick, but it was asking to "unlock data card" with a password, which was strange, because my phone never asked me for any PIN code or password ever for this SIM card.. But then when I inserted the SIM card into the phone again, I got a text message from my ISP to download an app and follow the steps showed there to set up my APNs. I did it, but I still have the same issue, however, I didn't need to turn off and on my data and hotspot sharing on my phone, but after a few seconds, the webpage reloaded itself on my laptop and was working fine. Now I have 4 tabs opened, GMail, Drive, this site, YouTube, and I still get the same error message from time to time when trying to pen a new tab.
If it helps, my browser was saying "DNS_PROBE_STARTED" and then "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" when it couldn't load the webpages.
But another funny thing is that even when the websites in my browser weren't loading in because of that error message above, my torrent client was running smoothly without any outage, so somehow the client could still get access to the internet. This is getting stranger and stranger for me. :D

EDIT: I just realized that I was doing the same thing with my previous phone, with the exact same ISP, buying the exact same package from them. I was using that phone as a mobile hotspot to use its internet on my laptop. Nothing like this ever occured for the 2 months I was using that subscription. Only thing that was different is my laptop and my phone, but my laptop died 2-3 weeks ago, and I also lost my previous phone at around the same time. It was an ASUS UX32A and a Xiaomi Mi6, now I have an acer Aspire 5 (A515-51-59HX), and Xiaomi Pocophone F1. But I have the same 100GB package at the same ISP. So the problem has to be with either my laptop or my phone. But I would assume it's the phone, because when the internet goes away on the laptop, it also goes away on my phone.

Last edited:

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
The laptop works fine over any other WiFi networks. I've only had this laptop for about 2 weeks, I've been on 2-3 other WiFi networks besides my phone, it was working smoothly on those. The phone also works perfectly when I only use its mobile data, no matter how intensively I use the network. I don't have any other devices to connect to my phone, but in the next few days I will try to get someone to connect to my phone, and see if the problem is still present.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
So I have some updates regarding this case.
I figured out that if I complety shut down my torrent client this whole problem fully diappears.
But this is still strange. When my client is running in the background, the internet access of the browser and apps go away, but the client is still having it. (Even though it is not downloading much data, just casually seeding, meaing a few hunder bites per second is the maximum load) When I turn off the client, no matter how much pressure do I put on the network (Downloading on Steam, opening several tabs, an apps which use internet), the connection isn't breaking at any point.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
Hmm, seems legit. But then still, how could it be that if I'm over a WiFi network at another place, this problem isn't present? Only over this mobile network solution.. Maybe I'll try another client instead of the current one. I wouldn't like to change the borwser, I prefer Opera. I liked Tixati so far as well, clean UI, no problems, but seems like my laptop can't live with this. Or maybe I'll wait for an update on the client.

Thanks for your help anyways, appreciate it! Hopefully if someone has the same issue, it will be useful if he/she finds this thread.
Have a wonderful night!

That would be the data plan your carrier/service provider has. They may well have limitations on such usage over their network. Wouldn't surprise me. And some places have conflicts with some apps/programs. The same way some programs have problems with Windows and have conflicts. Sometimes it is the OS or the service provider that is the problem and sometimes it is the app/program that is the cause.

Do let us know if another one works where that one didn't. If in the end no other versions work, then you know it is your carrier/service provider.

Lamantin001

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
I downloaded qBittorrent, and have been using that instead of Tixati as a client, haven't had any problems since then. So in the end, I think my tor client was causing the problems. I don't know the reasons for it, but it is certain now. Even if it's just seeding, and not using much data, it's fking up my internet connection, even on my phone. But problem is solved with the new client. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.