Portable powerful laptop suggestions?

Nuno Fernandes

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015
Hello! I'm looking for some reccomendations on powerful portable laptops.
I'm an electronical engineering Student and i need a powerful enough cpu and good ram. Something like an i7 quadcore or similar and 8GB RAM. I also like to game, but that's opional. I would also like it to be convertible, but that's also optional. I looked up the lenovo thinkpad yoga 460, but i dont know if the i7 6600u is good enough for what i need, since it is a dual core. Apart from that it is ideal for me, i can game, and it is portable and convirtable. Do you think it is a Good cpu to handle " heavy" software? And could you give me some more suggestions? Thank you for your time

Convertible laptops are generally small and relatively light. There is no such laptop with a quad core Intel i5 or i7 CPU to the best of my knowledge. They will only have a dual core CPU because convertible laptops are variants of ultrabooks. One of Intel's requirements for a thin laptop to be called an ultrabook is for it to have a dual core "u" model CPU.

In the US that laptop is known as the ThinkPad Yoga 14. Dual core CPUs are adequate for playing games. The nVidia 940m will do a decent job playing many recent games at 1366x768 / 1600x900 resolution with low or a mix of low and medium settings. Actual settings depends on the specific game and FPS performance that you would like to get. Just be aware that the 940m is not considered to be a "gaming GPU".

If you want a relatively small and light laptop that is capable of playing games (quad core i5-6300HQ and nVidia GTX 960m), but is not a convertible, then consider the 15.6" Dell XPS 15 which will cost more than the ThinkPad. Its Infinity Display has a very thin bezel around the screen. That allows the laptop to be about the size of an average 14" laptop. The chassis uses both aluminum and carbon fiber to make it strong and light. In the US the ThinkPad Yoga 14 (Yoga 460) costs $1,000 while the least expensive Dell XPS 15 with the i5-6300HQ and nVidia 960m costs $1,200.