Solved! Portable Remote Only Laptop (<$500)

Aug 24, 2018
Portable Remote Only Laptop (<$500)
I am looking for a cheap laptop that is light to Remote into my schools computer science desktop. I don't believe this will require much of any power at all.

I would like an SSD 128GB minimum

4gb ram preferably

13"-15" screen

Light (~ 3lbs or less)

A good/okay keyboard and trackpad for programming

A decent screen and battery life

$500 is my absolute limit but I would prefer something in the $250-$300 range if possible
Thank you for any and all help

Solution
Remoting onto a powerful desktop means you want 15" HD screen, which limits a lot your choices (especially with 128GB SSD requirement and 3lbs weight).

Have you tried this setup already with an existing laptop / desktop at your home? You'll need quite good Internet connection for "fluid" experience at both ends.
Remoting onto a powerful desktop means you want 15" HD screen, which limits a lot your choices (especially with 128GB SSD requirement and 3lbs weight).

Have you tried this setup already with an existing laptop / desktop at your home? You'll need quite good Internet connection for "fluid" experience at both ends.

Solution
Aug 24, 2018

I used to remote in from my early 2011 Macbook Pro and it worked just fine. 15" isn't a huge deal for me, I agree that 1920 x 1080 would be ideal but it could be 13" and suffice. The connection where I am staying is reliable and on campus it is always constant to be able to be remoted in all the time. The weight could be flexible 5-6lbs or less is my maximum. SSD I thought would help speed up my operating system and help with the remote desktop. Thank you