Ports and Cables 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittridge

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Gadget Guy Pic 13 mentions RJ45.
RJ45 is usually used in computer networking wiring according to TIA/EIA standard like T568A or B. That takes care of CAT5.
I mean RJ45 can also be used for other RS232 serial connection or telephone but author mentions Ethernet... so that's done deal

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Gadget Guy[/nom]Nice article, But why did you miss out on CAT-5??[/citation]Cat5 (more recently, Cat-5e and even Cat 6) is just the noise reduction rating of the cable used (lower noise transfer = higher possible transmission speeds). It has nothing to do with the connector attached to the end of it. Cat 5, 5e, and 6 cables use the RJ-45 "ethernet" connector/jack combination.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Two things (not really corrections, just comments). These days the auto-sense on NICs is reducing the need to have straight-through and crossover cables. Just last week I connected two PCs directly with a straight-through for data transfer...just had to specify the IPs.

This may never change for console and rollover cables and other variations used for higher end equipment, but if you don't have the cable you need be sure to try the other type even if it isn't supposed to work! (but I wouldn't try it if you know PoE is involved!)

The other thing is that e-SATA will usually work at standard SATA voltages. It will be out of spec and I think there is a trade off on it, but it does work. Most of the e-SATA add-on brackets you can buy online (for desktops) only plug into a SATA port inside the case. There are those that have the molex connector to also increase the voltage though, and those are preferred if you can find them.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Telephone operators in the 18th century? The first patent was granted to Bell in 1875. That would be the 19th century. It would have been more informative to also talk about theoretical limitations of more of the cables (i.e. 480p for S-video and composite, 1080p for component, 3840x2400 for DVI dual link, etc)

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Not very detailed. Tons of errors. The author didn't take his time writing this one. The author also doesn't seem to be that knowledgable. I was hoping to learn more than that...

G

I have to be honest, this is not written very well. Many of the sentences make little sense and the information is not very accurate or poorly described.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Some points were missed:
1) Firewire 800 has a different connector that requires an adapter for Firewire 400 devices.
2) Many high end graphics/capture cards, using component video, use BNC instead of the usual RCA connectors. Some add a fourth cable for improved timing.
3) There are still tons of ultra high resolution CRT displays out there that use DB13W3 D-subminiature connectors. A simple adapter can be used to convert to VGA.
3) For the sake of completeness I add these: I have come across sound cards that use the following for digital audio output:
a) AES/EBU - have seen RCA, XLR, BNC connectors
b) S/PDIF - have seen TosLink and RCA
c) I2S (rare) - have seen RCA-pair
d) MIDI - varius DIN connector configurations.
e) AC3 or DTS - RCA or Toslink
Feel free to add if I missed some.

relmasian

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Another good report from Tom's, although I would like a table of contents or a pull down box which lets you jump to the description of any given connector.

G

Weak article, not of Tom's Hardware quality.

Another thing that bothers me lately on Tom's: IE (7) crashes when i move my mouse over the 'Shop for all' section.

Status
Not open for further replies.