Possible Speakers for TV

jkk45

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi guys,

I would like to know what possible speaker setups are advisable for my situation.

I have a 32 inch Hitachi TV, but the internal speakers are really lacking. They're only 12 watt and haven't got much bass in them.

Here's the link for it if you want to know more info: http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/en-gb/products/led-tvs/32-81cm/32hyt46u

Is DTS TruSurround decent?

So, I have a SPIF port and a headphone jack in terms of audio connectors.

The space below the TV is also limited- about 40mm as it is on a flat desk surface.

Can anyone recommend some good speakers on based on this criteria. I've looked into soundbars, but they are too big and bulky to fit below the TV. I did think that maybe you could get a soundbar that perhaps clipped onto the top of the TV?

Would 2.1 PC speakers be decent and work. I did try and hook up my Logitech 5.1 x540s. However it was a choice between having the centre speaker and bass sub on, or the left and right speaker on. This is because I could only go in via the headphone jack, which can only go into one of the 3 audio connectors on the Logitech sub unit. Might this be a problem with 2.1 PC speakers? Might I be able to go in via SPDIF

Does anyone know of some strip PC speakers that could lay below the TV, or perhaps ones that you can tilt to lie flat?

Finally, is digital optical the same as SPDIF? I get confused over all these different audio connector types.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
First off you can put a soundbar to the top of the tv, you just have to use a wall mount or VESA mount to mount it.

Digital Optical is the same as SPDIF and is also called Toslink as well.

A PC 2.1 system will work as an improvement over TV speakers but dont expect much beyond that because you are still using the blah audio processor from the TV.

DTSTruSound is pointless for your situation if you are not using a real 5.1 (or bigger system) that will use the seperate surround channels.

With your budget only cheap sound bars or using PC 2.1 speakers are about the only new options. Ohter options would be to find a used home theater system, even if you can only run it as 2.1 it will still do a better job processing the audio and have a...

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Budget?

Would you be willing to set the TV on soome type of stand to raise it up?

https://www.amazon.com/Designs2Go-Small-Monitor-Riser-Black/dp/B00FU3ZLZG/ref=pd_sim_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00FU3ZLZG&pd_rd_r=6QNZ5T6JTTFQA2N9XXJS&pd_rd_w=1P5Tc&pd_rd_wg=s8uNX&psc=1&refRID=6QNZ5T6JTTFQA2N9XXJS

" is digital optical the same as SPDIF?" SPDIF is the protocol so it could be optical or coaxial cable. For your TV it is the coaxial version not the optical one. You can see it on the link you sent on the back panel labeled SPDIF/Coaxial.

jkk45

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Under £100 would be nice. Also needs to be 50-60 watts +

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Your budget and space limitations make this a tough one. You might think about something like the "SOUNDBASE.350" or "SOUNDBASE.320". The TV sits on top of these. These do take coaxial SPDIF so they would work. These also have a sub woofer out if at a later date you want more punch you could add a sub-woofer.

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/divinity-cart/item/4003201/zvox-audio-soundbase.320/1.html

Maybe someone else can come up with better options but that is all I can think of.

First off you can put a soundbar to the top of the tv, you just have to use a wall mount or VESA mount to mount it.

Digital Optical is the same as SPDIF and is also called Toslink as well.

A PC 2.1 system will work as an improvement over TV speakers but dont expect much beyond that because you are still using the blah audio processor from the TV.

DTSTruSound is pointless for your situation if you are not using a real 5.1 (or bigger system) that will use the seperate surround channels.

With your budget only cheap sound bars or using PC 2.1 speakers are about the only new options. Ohter options would be to find a used home theater system, even if you can only run it as 2.1 it will still do a better job processing the audio and have a decent powr output.

Solution
Are you always sitting just a few feet from this TV? because if further, ideally you want the speakers to space out and give you a larger sound stage, specially if listening to music. A soundbar sound stage is narrow in comparison, and should only be used, if you just want a non-hassle single unit.

You can buy some kind of stand, like a laptop dock type of thing to place your soundbar under, or fashion yourself a stand and place the SB on top by using the wall mount holes, yes a little DIY required here most likely, sorry no Walmart ready-made easy.

Anything surround and you must go digital, that means either Toslink or SPDIF (simply a coax version of Toslink and convertible)

The best 3.5mm can do is 2.1. Stereo + subwoofer.