Solved! Possible to “over charge” laptop?

Feb 25, 2021
I have a 2017 13” MacBook Pro with 2 thunderbolt 3 usb-c ports. The charger that came with the laptop specifies 61w charging.
I have just purchased a thunderbolt 3 dock capable of delivering up to 96w. The dock is powered by DC input via my 61w charger and connects to my laptop via a T3 cable.
I run a simple setup of laptop and two 4K monitors attached to the dock via HDMI - they have their own power supply. My mouse and keyboard are Bluetooth.
My questions are:
  1. Should I upgrade my charger to something higher powered to future proof my system a bit (for example if I decide to run bigger and better monitors from the thunderbolt ports on the dock via USB-C to HDMI cables plus a bus powered SSD drive, etc)
  2. If I do upgrade my charger to say 96w (don’t even know if that exists!) would that fry my laptop which doesn’t need that much power.
Any assistance would be appreciated

Solution
As long as the charger supplies the same voltage as required by the laptop, you should be OK. Whether more power will be accepted by the laptop depends entirely on the power supply design inside the laptop.

I wouldn't bother to try changing the charger unless you are unhappy with the way things work now.
As long as the charger supplies the same voltage as required by the laptop, you should be OK. Whether more power will be accepted by the laptop depends entirely on the power supply design inside the laptop.

I wouldn't bother to try changing the charger unless you are unhappy with the way things work now.

Solution
Feb 25, 2021

Thanks.