Solved! Possible virus/ can’t get avast to work in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2018
Ok so basically maybe a month or two ago I had this app called groove music constantly popping up and it wouldn’t let me access anything even if I closed out of it, it would stop freaking out after a while of being logged on so I didn’t think anything of it, I also ran avast and it didn’t find anything. Well maybe two or three days ago now out of no where my computer became unusable, I could get to the log on screen perfectly but once I got on the tool bar was completely gone and would take forever to pop up, but even when it came up I couldn’t press anything on it. So basically it became so slow it wouldn’t do anything, it only worked in safe mode and I’ve heard if you start it up in safe mode and run your anti virus software it would be able to find the virus and get rid of it. Well my anti virus software (aka avast) won’t open in safe mode, can anyone help me with these issues?

Solution
Hi there, it sounds like there may be other issues going on with your PC, not necessarily related to Avast, in this case. Groove Music is a trusted Microsoft app; you'll want to check if the app you're seeing on your machine is indeed the same app. If it looks different, it's possible that it's malware masquerading as a legitimate app. But my feeling is that it's probably the Groove Music that came with Windows :)

I would say that your first step is to try a boot time scan. You can do this with Avast, and the idea is to catch any malware or unwanted PUPs that are loading immediately and affecting performance like this, and also prevent them from re-populating themselves after removal.

How to use boot time scan in Avast...

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi there, it sounds like there may be other issues going on with your PC, not necessarily related to Avast, in this case. Groove Music is a trusted Microsoft app; you'll want to check if the app you're seeing on your machine is indeed the same app. If it looks different, it's possible that it's malware masquerading as a legitimate app. But my feeling is that it's probably the Groove Music that came with Windows :)

I would say that your first step is to try a boot time scan. You can do this with Avast, and the idea is to catch any malware or unwanted PUPs that are loading immediately and affecting performance like this, and also prevent them from re-populating themselves after removal.

How to use boot time scan in Avast: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/132/

If that doesn't help, some deeper investigation will have to be done. If you can't run Avast or other programs in Safe Mode, you might need to remove the drive and scan it from a separate machine for errors or issues, or look deeper into your Windows install for any problems. You may be able to use System Restore to roll your system back to a known working point to help determine what caused the problem.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.