Possible virus infestation

raksar

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi.
A few months ago I had given my laptop to a friend to play some games and turns out, he was streaming shows from streaming websites as well. He might have clicked on something and I think I have a virus infestation because last week I found out that I had a bitcoin miner in my laptop. I was able to get rid of it but a few days ago I found some other problems as well.
1. There is a safe search bar in my Firefox browser which I am not able to remove. I had it in chrome and I thought that only chrome was infected but turns out it's also there in Firefox.
2. A few minutes ago I had a GB of data which went missing from one of my partitions in the HDD. I'm not able to figure out what data went missing as I don't know how to track HDD activities.

Please help. I want to remove the safe search bar from my browsers and the computer itself. I also want to know if there is a possibility of a virus being the reason of my files getting deleted. If that's the case then how do I get rid of both the problems?

Information on my laptop:
Windows 8.1 pro (64bit)
Intel core i7-3rd generation
1TB HDD
2GB Radeon graphics (7700M)
8GB RAM

For keeping a check on invaders I use:
1. Windows defender
2. CCleaner for registry cleaning.

Please help.

Solution
From what I can tell, it looks like system wide adware and a browser hijacker. Not surprising at all, free streaming websites do that more than often. Try simple conventional steps below to take care of your issue. If it doesn't help, we will go more thorough.

1. Check your browser for any add-ons or extensions you do not recognize and remove them.
2. Check your installed programs and see if there isn't anything suspicious that was installed lately (If there is, simply remove them).
3. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro to clean...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from raksar : "Virus in my computer? Multiple problems"

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
From what I can tell, it looks like system wide adware and a browser hijacker. Not surprising at all, free streaming websites do that more than often. Try simple conventional steps below to take care of your issue. If it doesn't help, we will go more thorough.

1. Check your browser for any add-ons or extensions you do not recognize and remove them.
2. Check your installed programs and see if there isn't anything suspicious that was installed lately (If there is, simply remove them).
3. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro to clean most adware.

Solution

raksar

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks a lot Josh for your quick reply. I will scan everything today and will let you know about my results tomorrow at the same time.

Thanks.

raksar

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks a lot Josh, turns out that everything has been solved. I will definitely be careful the next time. Followed your steps and the issues have been resolved. Thanks a lot.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
I am glad you got that sorted out! If you need any more help, let me know, I will gladly help you resolve the issue!

Some advice: Make sure you have some form of adblock (uBlock is good) to deny ad-spread malware and annoying ads in general.

raksar

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi Josh,
I have followed your steps and added the extension which blocks unwanted stuff from the internet. Your solution was excellent and up to the point.

Thanks a lot!