Post Jobsnote Wrap-Up: Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I don't understand the Netflix 'Winner' mentality... You say bandwidth was the concern, and then that AT&T is now limiting their bandwidth which helps Netflix how? By limiting users to one, or maybe two movies a month on their iPhone and then they run out of available bandwidth? You don't at all explain how AT&T doing this has allowed Netflix to get over the last hurdle. If anything, it crushed the availability and usability of Netflix.

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Google a loser?

The iPhone 4 just caught up to Android with the release of iOS4. Android had multitasking, folders, a universal inbox, in addition to voice search that is fully integrated into (almost) every ap. All of this is only with the 2.1 release too. 2.2 is coming in the next few months that will add even more functionality and speed to the platform.

As for the handsets themselves, the Motorola Droid (or Milestone) is not the only Android device out there. There's the HTC Incredible, which is being advertised over the Droid in addition to lower cost devices like the ERIS and Devour. The Droid will get a refresh soon too, which you fail to mention. Most importantly, the Evo goes punch-for-punch against the iPhone 4. You can pick a side if you want, but neither phone is better than the other.

The keynote essentialy said that Apple can match Android right now against the Evo, but the Android platform is growing much too fast for Apple to keep up.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I came to say pretty much what "someguyperson" stated.

Apple's phones up until this point have been leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, but with phones like the EVO, Incredible, and Droid.. as well as up-and-coming models such as the Droid2 and Shadow -not to mention Android 2.2- I personally don't think apple "leapt" far enough ahead on this iteration to stay ahead in the coming months.

Also think ahead to Q1 2011 when the first batch of LTE phones is rumored to release on Verizon. they'll be 6 months ahead of the phones that are out now -and- have LTE capability. ATT's LTE rollout isn't even expected to begin until 2011, which -could- mean next year's iphone won't include LTE, should it still be locked to ATT.

I'd like an iPhone 4, but with so much heading this way in the next few months, I'm biding my time before I commit to another contract. Perhaps I've got high expectations for a Cellular Telco, but I've got high hopes for Verizon's LTE rollout.

G

It's a shame Apple were tight-arses when it came to the camera. 5MP might be ok (we'll see), but a LED flash is going to be rubbish compare to the xenon bulbs of some other phones. Also not giving the thing more memory for all that HD movie recording...stupid. A doubling of storage would have been a good idea. Boring to look at. I think my Samsung Jet looks prettier.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Adobe: Loser

Boy that might be the understatement of the year. Sad thing is that only adobe has itself to blame. yet another flash based keylogger has been uncovered this past weekend on top of all the other issues flash has.

Bring on the HTML5!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
This is definitely one of the most biased articles I've seen up to date. It just screams "The iPhone has no competitors". That's just my opinion though. God forbid there ever be a "Why you should buy a Smartphone running Android" article.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Biggest losers: end users. Whether tricked into believing they "need" this device, and spending lots of money on it and a supporting data plan, or being distracted by just one more source of advertising, it is the end user who will bear all the costs supporting any of the "winners;" that's fine, except that it's way too disproportionate. People who benefit from something shouldn't mind paying for it, but in this case I just don't see the value, but I do see the costs. Pass.

madman1391

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Not All 3GS users are loosers, AT&T has actually uped the renewal date for many of its iphone users. Often without telling them. I know if you bought a 3GS near the release date your almost guaranteed to have the renewal date bumped up.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]This is definitely one of the most biased articles I've seen up to date. It just screams "The iPhone has no competitors". That's just my opinion though. God forbid there ever be a "Why you should buy a Smartphone running Android" article.[/citation]
There are many! For instance:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/168-Smartphones-Apple-HTC.html
or this one
We really LIKE Android at Tom's Guide!

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Somehow, Apple survived the bad karma, and today Apple’s stock is worth 10 times that of Microsoft
Uh... no. Apple's stock price may be ten times more than Microsoft's, but Apple's stock is barely worth more than Microsoft in overall market cap (and it fluctuates daily). And when was the last time Apple issued stock splits/dividends? Yeah, didn't think so.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
If you don't know why the Blackberry is a business oriented phone then it's because you've never deployed and managed more than 5 smartphones for a business.

A BES makes it substantially eaiser to control content and security policy(IT policy), resend service books, and has arguably the best e-mail delivery system.

I would commit mass homicide if I had to manage our current Blackberry user base (50+) were they to all suddenly get iPhones. The tools just aren't there for a business.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... on the one hand... what new useful features could apple put in to mac... they got a rock solid OS by now... all they can do is just amp up the power with new powerful hardware... no big need to do something extraordinary by now... bot in to iOS space, there is so much chalanges to meet... so i understand... by the way, i use a PC&Win7...

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
about apple's stock being 10x microsoft, it is misleading because people will think apple is 10x the size of microsoft. Stock price is determined by the company board. They split it if they want a lower price or leave it like Berkshire Hathaway at 10k.

ronz9

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Worse than being misleading, the reference to AAPL being worth 10x the value of MSFT is idiotic. Apple is actually worth 1.07X the value of Microsoft--not 10X. Apple has only 910M shares outstanding. MSFT has 8.76B shares outstanding. The most startling historical point the author could have made was Apple catching and passing Microsoft in size last week, moving into second behind Exxon. Wonder if Jobs would have predicted that during his dark days between Apple tossing him out and Pixar floating to the surface of his amazing imagination?

Status
Not open for further replies.