Solved! Potentiometer volume control

Jan 23, 2019
Hello

I'm not experienced with this kind of thing and was looking to get a pot(entiometer) to do some testing. I'd really appreciate some help.

Basically, I want to make a custom volume knob for some secondary speakers. I have a speaker junction box/splitter with 1 input and 4 outputs:

s-l1600.jpg

There is a positive and negative for each speaker left and right. The pots I've seen have a positive in and out, but only one negative in:

F7377726-01.jpg

The speakers I want to use have their own cables attached. Here is my thinking:

The red + wire of the audio source goes to the + pot input
The black - wire of the audio source goes to the - pot input
The attached speaker red + wire goes to the + pot output

I don't understand where the black - wire of the speaker is supposed to go. Is that also supposed to be wired to the - pot input so there are 2 wires attached to the same peg?

Also, I assume a stereo pot would mean I could attach 2 speakers to it, but I still don't understand where all the wires should attach to! There are 2 wires from the audio source and 2 wires on the speaker, but only 3 pegs on the pot!

Help would be appreciated!

I don't think this is going to work and here's why.

Your amplifier has a specification for the load. Let's say it's 8 ohms. Many times it is.

By adding a pot (resistor) in the circuit you are going to change the load impedance on the amp...and most likely to a value the amp isn't designed to run at.

Plus...your pot needs to dissipate heat....and without doing the calculations....I still think it will be more heat than that pot can dissipate in at least some situations.

Jan 23, 2019

Thanks for the reply. Disappointing to hear that. What are my options then? I definitely want to have volume control on the 2nd and 3rd speaker outputs.

Thanks