Power And Receiver

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Okay, I'm wanting to give more power to my receiver.. I have two outlet's and I don't know if I should get two 120v 60hz power cords to run more watts, Or should I just get one, And also I don't know where to look to find a power cord that is AC120v 60hz that has two plongs on both sides of the cord one to go into the receiver and one to go into the wall..

Solution
^ Correct. Any outlet on the back of the receiver would be for a peripheral audio source often used with it, like a turntable, tape deck, or CD player.
What defines the output power of your receiver's amplifier is the internal electronic "guts" of it, and the circuit design used.
If you need more power, you'll probably just need to replace it. Make sure your speakers can handle whatever you're going to pump into them.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Lol what? Im no audio expert but I dont think you can run two 120v lines into your receiver and even if you could that wont give your receivers amp more watts or whatever you think it will do. That second power plug on the back of the receiver is just an extra outlet to power something else like a lamp or whatever, it will not supply your receiver with more power at least im pretty sure it wont. What receiver do you have?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
^ Correct. Any outlet on the back of the receiver would be for a peripheral audio source often used with it, like a turntable, tape deck, or CD player.
What defines the output power of your receiver's amplifier is the internal electronic "guts" of it, and the circuit design used.
If you need more power, you'll probably just need to replace it. Make sure your speakers can handle whatever you're going to pump into them.

Solution

Karsten75

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Holy crap! If you connect that outlet on the back of your receiver to the wall, you will see such damage as is seldom seen - there is a reason electric cords have male and female ends - precisely to prevent people from causing this kind of havoc.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
This is the second person in a few weeks that thinks adding more power will make it more powerful.

NO IT WILL NOT WORK. The amp will pull what power it is capable of working with from the socket, the amp is the constraint not the socket.

Serious question, what made you think that this was an option? In many years of being here i've never seen this before. Is there a video of someone doing it? The other person wanted to make a sub louder by adding a power brick.

In a more understandable form, this is like putting another engine in the passenger seat of a car and expecting it to go faster.

Karsten75

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

In my opinion, it's more akin to trying to force gasoline through the exhaust valves of your current engine. :D

USAFRet

Illustrious

The BEST result from doing that is you let the magic smoke out of the box and have to buy a new receiver.
Then we scale up to:
1. Calling an electrician to rewire the house
2. Home owners insurance guy
3. Life insurance guy. Not that YOU would be collecting it.

You can't find a cord like that, because no one makes them. They are called 'suicide cords'