Power Outage Stalls Super Bowl for 30 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Eff the superbowl dude.
Their copyright policy with the event, and you watching it with friends, is serious bullshit. If you watch it in a big screen (40" or more i believe) you are not allowed to share the signal (aka get together with friends) with X amount of people max.

bs.

ajrm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]static1120[/nom]This doesn't even count as tech news...[/citation]
Considering technology we know requires electricity(DC/AC) maybe this is tech news!!

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Eff the superbowl dude.Their copyright policy with the event, and you watching it with friends, is serious bullshit. If you watch it in a big screen (40" or more i believe) you are not allowed to share the signal (aka get together with friends) with X amount of people max.bs.[/citation]

Thats really interesting. I never knew that, but they can kiss my ass. My TV, my Cable Bill, My house. I would love to see them try to enforce a rule like that.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Eff the superbowl dude.Their copyright policy with the event, and you watching it with friends, is serious bullshit. If you watch it in a big screen (40" or more i believe) you are not allowed to share the signal (aka get together with friends) with X amount of people max.bs.[/citation]

When I was in Air Force Basic training, I got injured and sent to Med Hold for 3 weeks, during the super bowl. My squadron's common area had a working tv with cable, the other squad did not. We charged 2 bux a head to let the other squad come and watch the Superbowl. Without even knowing it, I guess we were sticking it to THE MAN. Fight The Powa!!

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]When I was in Air Force Basic training, I got injured and sent to Med Hold for 3 weeks, during the super bowl. My squadron's common area had a working tv with cable, the other squad did not. We charged 2 bux a head to let the other squad come and watch the Superbowl. Without even knowing it, I guess we were sticking it to THE MAN. Fight The Powa!![/citation]

Thank you for your service sir, I hope you are well now. Hell of a game though.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I think the power outage was the most intresting part of that game up until the power was restored.. and even then it was just liek the teams changed uniforms... also the Lousianna grid is a joke they have the infastructure of a second world country in the best areas and we are somehow surprised that happened

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

It's 55 inches. And it pertains to "establishments", ie. Sport Bars or clubs that have multiple 55+ inch tv's, not private homes. Unless you turn your home into a public establishment or use the side of your home as a projector screen so that the entire neighborhood can see, you don't have anything to worry about. That's not the entirety of the law, but this is pretty much the gist of it.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]wcnighthawk[/nom]It's 55 inches. And it pertains to "establishments", ie. Sport Bars or clubs that have multiple 55+ inch tv's, not private homes. Unless you turn your home into a public establishment or use the side of your home as a projector screen so that the entire neighborhood can see, you don't have anything to worry about. That's not the entirety of the law, but this is pretty much the gist of it.[/citation]
Thanks for explaining. The other explanation just didn't seem right and I was about to ask where I could find more info on it at. makes sense, Just like with the PPV fights. A business (like buffalo wild wings) pays a business price for their service and ppv's. Versus the $60 a home would pay.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm actually going to blame the Ravens for this. They must have brought along some of that negative Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) stigma with them. BGE has legendarily poor service quality. It can be sunny and nice outside, but the power still goes out. Clearly some people from BGE were in the crowd.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Im amazed people haven't considered a hacker scenario since we have been told for a decade that our power matrix would be a target of terrorism. Im sure it would be not announced as such ever.. but Iran hackers could probably easily do something like that as a warning to our governmental (and issue it to them). Lets see who we rattle sabers at in the next few weeks.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the stadium lights used were HID lights. They take more power when they are warming up so I guess they had to bring on the lights in stages to keep the power in control.

I don't get why they had to stop playing, the field was still lit up fine. Maybe it was because sponsor banner ad screens were off or something.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

and the kicker, they get massive tax breaks at your expense, and make you pay the most for your cable bill...

you know those sports channels... discounting the hbo and showtime premiums, those are the most expensive channels, and you cant get out of paying for them... on an 80$ basic cable bill, they are 45-50$ of the bill.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
The liar and chief Obama has his gestapo environmentalist nut-jobs in the EPA shutting down coal power plants all over the country. maybe their new fairy dust, unicorn fart powered power plants couldn't keep up with the demand, sad but true.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Who won anyway?

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
1. power is tech news. computers control the grid and flow of power. energy is always tech news.
2. copyright policy. you could watch it for free by either HD broadcast or on cbssports.com
3. 75% of American TV's watched the game so it is relevant to todays conversation.
4. EPA shutting down power plants. We need to become more efficient in our power use maybe some outside forces would do us some good for innovation. stop the power subsidies to let the market work. 2005 numbers: 492 coal power plants making 666 MW each. Innovation: NYTimes building is using computers to control shades to allow the right amount of light into a building for natural lighting and also using floor vents for cooling. Cool air rises to ceiling creating more efficient cooling. Facts: NYC has 10% of U.S. office space. This tech could save 340 GW (gigawatt) hours of power. cost to implement $2-10/ sqft and a saving for the NYTimes building of $13k per floor. 25% of power used in NYC goes to indoor lighting.
source: google--> sunshine light skyscrapers sciam 5 hours ago

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]The liar and chief Obama has his gestapo environmentalist nut-jobs in the EPA shutting down coal power plants all over the country. maybe their new fairy dust, unicorn fart powered power plants couldn't keep up with the demand, sad but true.[/citation]
Epic troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.