Power Pot Will Charge Your Gadgets Just by Using Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]Survival kits just got smaller. Power Pot, phone, and some bandaids.[/citation]
Solar chargers are a lot smaller, cheaper, don't require you build a fire and can be used on the go. Looks like this just has the advantage in power output and working in overcast conditions.

I'm guessing anybody who's already got a solar charger as part of a survival kit is just going to stick with that.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Solar chargers are a lot smaller, cheaper, don't require you build a fire and can be used on the go. Looks like this just has the advantage in power output and working in overcast conditions.I'm guessing anybody who's already got a solar charger as part of a survival kit is just going to stick with that.[/citation]

I was just going to mention the situation where lack of sunlight might be an issue, but then I saw you said something about it. I think this would be more versitile, except in rainy conditions where neither would work :(

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I guess if you are already in the wild and are going to be making a fire it makes sense but otherwise, using heat or thermal radiation to create electricity using heat differential with some modified TEC that isn't very efficient at all. I wouldn't invest.

eastcoaster

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Misleading 420 letdown!Also, fire and electronics? Sounds somewhat dangerous.[/citation]

HA! what a 420 letdown.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This is sweet! Most smart phones are terrible for backpacking trips because of their lackluster battery life. With something like this, you could charge your phone every night by the fire.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
They could create one for the car; then we could get rid of the radiator!
Get energy out of the engine/coolant,and power the lights and other electric internals in the process.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Your survival kits has a phone...? Why would you need a survival kits if your phone was working...? And a spare battery will be cheaper and smaller that the solar charger or the pot. Just saying. Those are great for psuedo-camping, if you want to play phone games instead of enjoying the outdoors, but aren't really survival kit items.

G

I think there would be too many accidents of people burning up their electronics in the fire. Plastic and displays would melt from the heat. How do they even ensure the charging cord doesnt get melted?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The hot side of the Peltier will be really hot with the boiling water or fire by it, but how cool will the cold side of the peltier be? It would have to be much cooler than the hot side and that means a really big heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.