ftainca

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
i have a family member who lives in a remote area of northern canada, with a hewlett packard zd 8000 laptop and her battery is not worth replacing but the power supply recently died,
from hp they want 230 $ ruffly to replace it, considering its from 1995 ruffly, is there any aftermarket or used places who could help her out with a more respectable price , or else she might as well save for something newer/better

any weblinks or advice would greatly be appreciated,
ty in advance

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
1995?!!! are you mad we're in 2009 she must emediatly dispose of that laptop it is a hazardous danger! no disrespect but come on you can get 10 times better for just $300 these days. a pentium 4 or celeron with 1gb ram and 60gb or more hard drive will do her just fine.

ftainca

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
she found another supplier for half the price,,, but yes, i said the same thing, to replace it it all together,
i appreciate the reply ,, can i ask why its a danger, is it because the battery pack will leak out acid /fumes ?

ftainca

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
ty for the info, i had no idea laptops were that dangerous, but since she is on a tight budget i can gaurantee she will keep the ole unit, but atleast i can warn her of the dangers.