Powerdirector 16 Versions

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Looks like ultimate pretty much just adds some effects and templates. I'd "rather" get it than ultra, but the ultra version is almost constantly on sale for around $40, whereas ultimate is usually $100 for an actual disc version.

Just wondering if it's really worth getting ultimate...

No way am I going to pay a monthly fee to use the adobe program or pay the high cost of vegas pro. Then most other software either doesn't let you burn to BR, charges you extra to do so, is missing key features, or is slow. So I've about settled on powerdirector.

Also, judging by recent years, 17 is probably releasing in a few months, but when I asked them about it, they are making me register an account just to read their email answer. lol. So i'll probably not bother with that.

Anyway, so ultimate necessary or not? Recently newegg even had the combo of ultra and cyberlink's photo editor for $45 or $55 combined! Maybe should have just done that.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

newegg, via a code, assuming it hasn't sold out or them stop allowing it. (they stop some codes after x number of people use it).

I don't think it has burning to BR does it? So I really would feel that I shouldn't get it.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

wouldnt that not be quite the same as typical creating of BR discs, though? You'd have to create a certain file type and then burn it or convert it or whatever, but wouldn't it not be the typical BR disc with BR menus, etc...?

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Also, I've seen good reviews about nero, but I believe it's extra slow.

edit: the review of the 2017 version, from this very site (well, tom's guide), says powerdirector and premiere elements are a better experience.

Can't say as I've never used it. By the time I could find out the offer will have expired.

Nero Disc Menu Templates

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

for elements, you mentioned they took away BR burning, but you could still do it in a roundabout way (creating a certain file type), what would be the differences in that particular case?

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

But for elements itself, I was unsure of exactly what the implications of their change was, because you showed where it said it stripped BR support, but you could still do it, so i was confused on exactly what changed. The format of the file?

USAFRet

Illustrious
From what I see, you're in Analysis Paralysis mode. Combined with ancient hardware that you can't really test the newer software on.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple tools for this. Especially when they are cheap or free.

That's why I have Paintshop Pro, Lightroom, GIMP, darktable, and paint.net.
That's why I have Hitfilm Express and DaVinci Resolve.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I don't know if that deal is still working, but I have a $30 newegg gift card that has to be used within 30 days. I just doubt that would be my preferred program, though (nero)a nd I don't want o buy more than one. A mighty big discount, though, 80% off the sale price.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

it's just that I doubt I will edit often, so hate to spend on multiple programs. really tempting on these deals, though.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you're not going to edit often, then the "performance" counts much less.
It is the features you'd be looking for.

Specifically, bluray.

For rare editing, it doesn't really matter than one application takes 5 minutes more than another, if it actually includes the critical feature you require.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
It's not just a few mins difference. powerdirector is much faster than most others, supposedly.

But I'd still consider videostudio. I can't find anything on whether nvidia or amd cards are better with it for gpu acceleration, though. For PD, I have got a lot of responses, showing that nvidia is far better with it in the current version.

That's the main thing I need to figure out is whether or not I need to buy an nvidia card and sell my amd one. If videostudio were good with amd ones, I'd maybe choose it. Although, I am tempted to get something better than the amd card, anyway, in case I game or ever want to use vr.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Key word....supposedly.

As you've not tested it with your workload and your hardware, new or old....online reviews and "supposedly" is just conjecture.
That's why most of those tools have a free trial.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

well, every professional review I've seen that compares them says videostudio is slow as the main con for it and that powerdirector is much faster and one of the fastest. (I think one sole program was faster, may have been pinnacle, but I can't remember). true different projects could be different, but for every reviewer to say the same thing, it's likely true.

DefinitelyNotTom

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
what exactly are video overlay tracks? videostudio limiting it to 20 is the only other real complaint I find, other than sped. I'm kind of tempted to get videostudio... but not quite settled on it so will have to pass on the amazon deal of $58 for ultimate because the deal ends in about 40 minutes.