Pre Launches, Woman Drives Car Into Sprint Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
this iPhone , Zune and whatever phones hype is overrated. My 6500 classic owns all of these "phones" and lasts 3 times mybe even 4 times in battery terms. I use the PC for internet, i dont need it allover.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Darn... the only reason I read this article was to see if the woman who drove her car into the store actually got her Pre or not.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Darn... the only reason I read this article was to see if the woman who drove her car into the store actually got her Pre or not.[/citation]

I'm guessing she got her license taken away.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The video is a MUST SEE. Watch for the employee who can't get out of his own way to flee the vehicle's path, and takes out the giant Pre display.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I didn't buy one, I wouldn't mind one though. The keyboard is a bit small for my gigantic thumbs, but otherwise it feels nice in your hands. The claims of it being sharp are ridiculous. The same people claiming it's sharp must be scared to death of butter knives. After reading reviews that said it's dangerous, I tried to get my friends Pre to be just as deadly but it's about as sharp as the rim of a coke can and it closes way to easily to cause pain from touching this supposed "sharp" edge.
I can't imagine the prissy people that must have reviewed this phone. My job involves no manual labor, so it isn't like I have hands of steel. The only callouses I have are from golfing.
As for the rest of the phone, I can't attest much as I was just trying to get a feel for it. It's smaller than I felt like it was when looking at it in pictures but the screen is nice and it's comfortable enough to use one handed. I didn't try out any multi-tasking or phone calls or anything, so I'm not going to throw another opinion out there about those. I just wanted to know if I could type with it and how it looked for real.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Haha, the video is hilarious! I love how they don't even go to the car to see if the woman is okay. I'm sure they think it's a potential robbery or something...

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually I love this phone, I went to best buy that only had 8 phones to avoid the mail in rebate but after two different best buys being sold out I went right over to the next sprint retail store which had 125 phones, I was number 118 they told be (which was still less than an hour into the stores being opened). But i've had good experiences with their mail in rebates before so I didn't mind, there is a few things that aren't the best but my god this phone is just awesome and well worth the money.

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]reininop[/nom]I didn't buy one, I wouldn't mind one though. The keyboard is a bit small for my gigantic thumbs, but otherwise it feels nice in your hands. The claims of it being sharp are ridiculous. The same people claiming it's sharp must be scared to death of butter knives. After reading reviews that said it's dangerous, I tried to get my friends Pre to be just as deadly but it's about as sharp as the rim of a coke can and it closes way to easily to cause pain from touching this supposed "sharp" edge. I can't imagine the prissy people that must have reviewed this phone. My job involves no manual labor, so it isn't like I have hands of steel. The only callouses I have are from golfing. As for the rest of the phone, I can't attest much as I was just trying to get a feel for it. It's smaller than I felt like it was when looking at it in pictures but the screen is nice and it's comfortable enough to use one handed. I didn't try out any multi-tasking or phone calls or anything, so I'm not going to throw another opinion out there about those. I just wanted to know if I could type with it and how it looked for real.[/citation]

I agree, sharp edge on the keyboard? CMON! If that's all you have to complain about in an article then can it. I could say the same crap about AT&T's network in my area about it being completely crappy too (I know because my blackberry for work is at&t).

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I'm guessing she got her license taken away.[/citation]

wrong. this would be considered to be singling out seniors and an uproar would ensure. they don't work so have ample time to protest and no one wants to hear a bunch of whiny old people as it is... that's the reason why retirement homes are so profitable and prevalent.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Overrall, I like the phone. Honestly, it doesn't BEAT the iPhone, but it doesn't lag behind in anyway. So if you are on Sprint or do not want AT&T and are switching from that or another carrier, I'd say the Pre is the best you can do.

Conversely, if you don't like Sprint and are trying to switch, switch to AT&T and get the iPhone.

Countering that, if you don't like either carrier, switch to Verizon and get a Blackberry Storm. Won't have iTunes but meh.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Wish everybody would stop bitching about how small the key pad is. Duh! Isn't it obvious? The thing is a few inches wide and tall. Isn't that the caveat for any small device? It's like owning a Honda Civic and bitching that it has less space than a bus.

I have normal size hands and my Treo 755p which has a small keyboard beats trying to press a standard phone pad three times for each letter. Plus the tactile feel of it is better than a larger button touch screen. If you use an iPhone (I had one for 2 wks), you will realize that a small tactile button keypad is more efficient than a larger button touch screen.

I'd buy an iPhone if it had a slide-out keyboard. It's thin already and adding an 1/8 inch slide-out keyboard wouldn't severely hurt its overall packaging. At least make an option.

clhess

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I think I got the only bum Pre at launch. It wouldn't power on, tech's had to pull the battery and put it back in. Then it died again the next day. Big Battery symbol with a question mark in the middle. Sprint repair tech the next day said the battery resistance was too high and they swapped it out with a Palm Pre demo unit battery because they had no spare batteries in stock since units were low. It's all working now though and pretty nice. Not too happy about not having a desktop sync but overall not bad device. Low app availability could be an issue. Palm should have released the SDK sooner and got more people on board writing apps.

Deotronic

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
The small keyboard doesn't bother me; I have small hands. The edges being sharp is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard (unless they got the Razor Edition Pre?). I've not had any trouble multitasking while on phone calls so far, everything seems responsive. The update from 0.9.x to 1.0.2 (issued about two hours after I purchased my phone) went seamlessly in the background, and didn't disrupt my use of the phone at all. In fact, I didn't even notice until I checked my version again.
Better than the iPhone? While not identical, the features are comparable. The real proof will be the apps that are released in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.