Prepaid DROID, BlackBerrys, Palms to Hit Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This actually sounds nice....but how much are the phones now? Guessing we will not be seeing them at the 2-year contract prices...

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
But only if you can get the phones for like $250-$300....at $500 for the phone it is no different then it already is just a different name for it

G

Actually, I stopped inside my local Verizon store earlier this week. Not only did the clerk I talked to confirm it, but he also said that the pricing of the phones will be the one-year contract price. Kinda pricey for a cool phone, but that's kinda compensated for the fact that I'd end up paying the same price for the two-year contract plus $125 deposit (my credit ain't so good), but can back out of it any time I want without penalty.

The only problem I have now is which Droid to get: the Incredible, the Droid X or the Fascinate? It's looking like the Fascinate's going to be in the same rarefied price tier as all the other Droid-branded phones, so that makes it that much harder...

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
This isn't really prepaid since you still pay per month, not per minute used. This is pay as you go. On T-Mobile you prepay your minutes and then you have up to a year to use them (initially only 3 months until you reach $100 in prepaid purchases).

G

I don't really see how this is that much better than having a contract (not that I like contracts.) You're paying the same absurd price for service that you would with a contract plan regardless of your actual usage, and on top of that you're now paying more for the phone.

More options are well and good, but to me this doesn't seem any better than a contract. So I can take my phone to another carrier if I want, so what? They all charge the same absurd amounts and verizon has better coverage than most, so why move?

I'd much rather see a real pay as you go plan + cheap capped data plan. Maybe I'm just crazy, but $45 for voice and text is practically theft.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Bleh.. had me excited for a second. I'd gladly pay $30 just for data only (no voice minutes), but not if I have to pay $30 + voice plan.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Syon[/nom]I don't really see how this is that much better than having a contract (not that I like contracts.) You're paying the same absurd price for service that you would with a contract plan regardless of your actual usage, and on top of that you're now paying more for the phone.More options are well and good, but to me this doesn't seem any better than a contract. So I can take my phone to another carrier if I want, so what? They all charge the same absurd amounts and verizon has better coverage than most, so why move?I'd much rather see a real pay as you go plan + cheap capped data plan. Maybe I'm just crazy, but $45 for voice and text is practically theft.[/citation]
Well,
1. You never have to worry about going over your minutes and paying Verizons 45 cents per minute over.

2. You don't have to pay Verizons $350 (pro-rated) cancellation fee if for some reason you have to stop your account or want to switch.

3. Since you're not bound to Verizon, they'll have to work harder to make sure you're happy because you can leave at any time and take your phone with you.

G

WHERE did the update up the blackberry box go?

Did big BAD VZ tell you guys to take it down.

In regards to their new no contract policy, I see the ONLY benefit is to those who do NOT want a contract at ALL COSTS.

Believe me, if you go this option, you'll pay DEARLY for the phones. So much so that I'm sure that it will be very unattractive to most.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hmm, so for 450 mins + unlimited data it would be $45? That's not too bad of a deal if it's true. Then again, it looks like text adds a hell of a lot to the cost. (You know, since texting consumes soooo much data..../sarcasm).

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Something tells me that the handsets are going to be pretty expensive. I can't see Verizon discounting phones that customers could turn around and sell without consequence.

G

Ok. I've read the thing several times now and am wondering how long the minutes are good?

People. you have to have a voice plan(MANDATORY!).

I

G

I wonder if this is good, because my friend needs a phone and her down payment on AT&T is 750.00! Would Verizon Pre-Paid do a credit check?

Status
Not open for further replies.