President Obama Announces Video Game Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about investing money into the public school systems for better teachers and overall quality of education?

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Not...exactly what I was thinking, but let's see how this goes!
Although to be honest, it's kind of vague to me how this is helping or assisting anyone, despite reading the article. Yeah so what if the Dev's game gets big, it takes a lot to get a game that size out there. Then again, I'm just being cynical about that. May the best little gamer/Dev win!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this is...not a bad idea at all

think about it. the US has been really falling behind in education.

but our strong point is probably video game sales. its probably stronger than any other place on this planet

give the kids educational but fun games. it's different, but if it works... i have a reason to play more games =D

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Not a bad way to get the word out for a cheap price. $100k spent anywhere in schools won't make a dent in anything, but $100k prize contest will at least claim publicity for the cause.

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I remember games that promoted learning. They were called Number Cruncher and Math Blaster. I found them fun as hell, and I actually learned something. Why can't they just go back to the roots of simplicity and education?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I like this idea, HOWEVER, it's not going to help solve really anything. It'll help the kids that come from educated families (typically White, Asian, Middle-Eastern) and have no effect on the poor families (typically Black and Mexican). This isn't always the case in any culture but it is fairly typical (hence the italics). We also need TV with better family values and real actors/actresses and real acting and not this reality TV brain-rotting crap.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I like this idea, HOWEVER, it's not going to help solve really anything. It'll help the kids that come from educated families (typically White, Asian, Middle-Eastern) and have no effect on the poor families (typically Black and Mexican). This isn't always the case in any culture but it is fairly typical (hence the italics). We also need TV with better family values and real actors/actresses and real acting and not this reality TV brain-rotting crap.[/citation]

Just turn off the TV and go outside. You won't miss it after a week, I promise.

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Didn't Obama say some time ago he considered games, like many other things, were just another type of distraction from important things in life?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
This from the same guy who used in-game advertisements for his campaigning... he is just using our children to promote his parties ideology... winning them over at a young age...

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]aquila[/nom]Didn't Obama say some time ago he considered games, like many other things, were just another type of distraction from important things in life?[/citation]
In a speech to the American Medical Association in Chicago, President Obama mentioned video games as a factor in unhealthy, sedentary lifestyles.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The students design games and the judges play them to decide which game is most creative, fun, educational, etc. Obviously a lot of the students will get some help from older people like their parents or teachers, but if the students are highly involved in the process, it's a good way to promote interest in science and technology. This is how the contest help promote education.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i like the idea
educational games are lacking and maybe some gems will come out of this
plus it'll promote design and hopefully promote science and engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.