Price Matching: GameStop Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A win for the consumer without the government involved?! Amazing!

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Hasn't it gotten a little ridiculous that USED games are still $39.99? Has anyone ever looked at their game collection, or music collection and done the math on it's street value. With the world not coming up with any new ideas and sequals dominating, it's hard not to feel ripped off. I wonder why piracy is so high.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
If it drops the used game pricing by a bit more its a good thing, right now used prices are ridiculous.

Seriously buying a used $50 game for $40 is crazy especially considering how some people treat their wares. I have 10 year old games that are completely scratch free (I mean really, take disc out of case and insert into console... How hard is that?), makes me wonder how people can scratch the hell out of a disc within a matter of weeks.

I don't trust used games from my work experience, the disc may 'look' scratch free. But it probably means the game store ran it through a Disc Doctor before putting it on the shelf, it may look like new, but it certainly isn't. I'd say a good 60% of the games that come in are scratched and need to be refinished before they go on the shelves.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I'd burn every one of my games before I traded them in to those scheisters. They give you nothing for trade in and turn aroudn and sell them for nearly new prices.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I still think best buy is giving you a better deal. You get a NEW game for $10-$15 dollars cheaper. For pc gamers, that is a great deal since there really is no used pc game market.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
At least at Best Buy when you buy a new game it is actually a new game and not some game in a disc jacket they throw into an open case and want you to pay full price for it. Brand new = sealed. I haven't shopped at Gamestop in two years and nothing in this article has convinced me to return. If I have an urge to get a used game craiglist is my friend.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I wish best buy would go ahead with the competition. Since Gamestop bought out EBGames & another large retailer(can't remember the name)they have been a monopoly in the south.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]I still think best buy is giving you a better deal. You get a NEW game for $10-$15 dollars cheaper. For pc gamers, that is a great deal since there really is no used pc game market.[/citation]

It's not about whether BB is offering a better deal, it's about Gamestop boning them so they can't offer that deal anymore without losing money. I hate both companies so I'm not sure who to root for here.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I have 10 year old games that are completely scratch free (I mean really, take disc out of case and insert into console... How hard is that?), makes me wonder how people can scratch the hell out of a disc within a matter of weeks.[/citation]
I too wonder the same thing. I swear some people try to clean or dust the disk with sandpaper the way they work. Probably morons putting the disk in their XBox 360, then grabbing it and shaking it vigorously, then complaining on forums when their disk ends up scratched.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I have 10 year old games that are completely scratch free (I mean really, take disc out of case and insert into console... How hard is that?), makes me wonder how people can scratch the hell out of a disc within a matter of weeks.[/citation]

Omg I know! People are becoming so damn lazy that they buy a $60 game and then when they go to change discs, they just throw that brand new disc on the table next to them or something. All my friends do that and I look at their discs and they look like shit, and sometimes stop working properly, and then when they are at my house, I always have to yell at them for leaving my discs out. That's why I always feel bad about lending my friends games lol. Come on, how hard is it to take the extra 10 seconds to put it back safely into the box?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
some of you are crazy. i've bough a lot of used games at gamestop and about 6 of them have not worked. i'd rather buy it in a new package untouched by cheeto fingers

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have to agree with duckmanx88, from personal experience I would much rather buy a game that is new and sealed. BB selling new games for 5-10 dollars less is a much better deal IMO than purchasing a used game for 10-15 dollars less than msrp

Status
Not open for further replies.