Princeton Kicks Flakey Apple iPads Off Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Same happens with notebooks that are set to sleep in XP.
Upon getting out of sleep, the computer continues to use the old IP address, even if the router has already assigned the IP to another.

Windows Vista and 7 make the user know, that there's another user using this IP address.
It's not something new...

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I'm waiting to read the next article about Steve Jobs saying something like. "We know the iPad has network issues but they are only issues because the campuses and business are refusing to reconfigue there network"

G

I don't think DHCP servers that force an IP change at every renewal are the norm.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Same happens with notebooks that are set to sleep in XP.Upon getting out of sleep, the computer continues to use the old IP address, even if the router has already assigned the IP to another.Windows Vista and 7 make the user know, that there's another user using this IP address.It's not something new...[/citation]
I'm pretty sure Windows XP also alerts the user that the IP is already in use, and disable the network interface until something is resolved. Windows also does NOT continue to broadcast on that IP address, whereas apparently the iPad does.

[citation][nom]icedivr[/nom]I don't think DHCP servers that force an IP change at every renewal are the norm.[/citation]

It may not be the norm, but if its in the protocol, the iPad should support it.

G

this blog looks like it is read by shirtless jerkoffs who love windows.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I can't really tell from this article what exactly is going on, but it sounds like the DHCP server at Princeton is pretty retarded. Why would you not allow a device that has an IP address to renew the lease, instead of forcing a change? What possible reason would they have for this ridiculous behavior.

If I'm reading this correctly, even if the device is left on for six hours, the DHCP server will make it renew the IP address, and force it to take another. This is bizarre, and idiotic. Apple probably never figured anyone would be so stupid, and I can't imagine why they don't allow it to renew it's lease on the same IP address it had. Maybe there's a good reason, but if there is, why does no one else do it?

Also, a six hour lease? Why? They can create more than enough internal IP addresses that they can lease it for longer. Even when it works, it's extra chatter on the network, and more work for the DHCP servers. Again, why?

Still, Apple should not let something like this happen. If something can happen, they have to plan on it, however idiotic. I'm not clear if it is using it as a static IP once it gets it, or if it just won't change while it's logged on and conncted to the network. It can't be the former, or they'd have tons of problems, so it's got to be the latter.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Everyone saying that Princeton's dhcp server sucks should think back to the last time they deployed a large wifi network to thousands of roaming users within a large geographical area.

You have to consider that only a fraction of their wifi user base may be on campus at any given time, and also that when they walk across campus an entirely different subnet may be in use there. It would just be wasteful to allocate enough private address space such that all 5,000 or so undergrad students could be in the library and get online at the same time, and then all of them walk to the English building and get on with the same IP they had before. However, if you want to talk about stupid networking or oversized broadcast domains THAT would be the way to do it! If you're ever in charge of something that big I'm sure they'll let you do it that way if you want...

So anyway that is why the 6 hour lease, and also why their lan IP turnover is probably HUGE.

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]snip.[/citation]
Awww. You beat me to it.. But seriously, even if there configuration was as bad as some people seem to think it is the Ipads behavior still wouldn't be acceptable.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's not just Princeton. But all of Israel also. The Ban Hammer fell on iPad in that country. They're not allowing them into the country. Maybe the Mossad knows something we don't.

G

Its just Apple appaling software for handling IPs you can imagine howmany times iv had to reset iphones and itouchs as they hang on to what ever ip they want rather then finding a free one

Status
Not open for further replies.