Problem displaying 1080p quality on a Samsung LED Smart TV (in relation to a PS3)

Laurent DesLattes

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
So I've seen previous posts before about having an issue with a Samsung HD TV not displaying a PS3's 1080p capabilities. Well I have that exact same issue, except that I have a 40" Samsung LED Smart TV. I followed the forum through all posts and see that it just stopped. So I need some help figuring it out because I want to use my PS3 and Smart TV to its maximum optimal potential.

On the box, it's stated in big letters and numbers "1080p". I've had the TV for about two months (bought brand new from BestBuy") and I use an HDMI connection with my PS3. I immediately went to set the display quality of the PS3 to 1080p.

Now I saw many ask before if the OP had used his/her PS3 with another TV before capable of 1080p quality. I have done this before on two other TVs. Once on a 32" at a friend's house and on my own (I think it's) 20" TV (which is why I upgraded to 40").

My new TV is not supporting 1080p quality. My PS3 is been set to 720p currently because of it. I also tried 1080i quality and, I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the difference is from 1080p, but it actually supports 1080i. However, I decided not to use 1080i because, from what I could tell, it wasn't much better (if not worse) than the 720p setting. Obviously both are fine and bearable, but why not take the TV I paid for to display the highest quality do just that?

Thank you in advance for any help that is given.

Solution
You could try holding down the Power button when turning the PS3 on. You'll hear the first "beep" when it starts up, and then if you keep holding, a second beep. This will reset all the video, audio, and network settings on the PS3 (won't erase anything like saves or what not, no worries, this is purely to reset the connections in case you switch from an HDTV to a non-HDTV, or vice versa) and see if this "refresh" helps the PS3 recognize the resolution on the TV.

But for sure, not all PS3 games run at 1080p. They'll say on the back of the casing whether they do or not, and they are few and far between. This is why you'll see your PS3 kick down to 720p for these games.

If you try unchecking 720p and 1080i entirely, does the menu not...

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
The real question here is, is the menu coming up in 1080p? Like if you pick both 720p and 1080p in the Video settings on your PS3, does the Menu load in 1080p? If so, the 1080p is working fine. Most games on the PS3 *do not* play in 1080p, and the ones that say they support it on the back, you have to uncheck the 720P option to force them to play in 1080p.

Laurent DesLattes

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014

Ahh ok. Well then it's just a misunderstanding on my part. To assume that all PS3 games can perform at a 1080p quality is an overambitious idea. I just figured since the system was capable of 1080p that all games would follow that format.
That clears some things up for me, but what if the problem begins from the PS3 home menu? If I go to Display settings on my PS3 and change the quality simply for the sake of the of the PS3 home menu, it still doesn't support a 1080p quality. So it's not just the games alone, it seems.

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
You could try holding down the Power button when turning the PS3 on. You'll hear the first "beep" when it starts up, and then if you keep holding, a second beep. This will reset all the video, audio, and network settings on the PS3 (won't erase anything like saves or what not, no worries, this is purely to reset the connections in case you switch from an HDTV to a non-HDTV, or vice versa) and see if this "refresh" helps the PS3 recognize the resolution on the TV.

But for sure, not all PS3 games run at 1080p. They'll say on the back of the casing whether they do or not, and they are few and far between. This is why you'll see your PS3 kick down to 720p for these games.

If you try unchecking 720p and 1080i entirely, does the menu not load at all? It should still come up in 1080p. It just defaults to the "fastest" performing resolution.

Solution